David Akiva
David Akiva, BA, MA,
Experience:  Counselor; Behavioral Consultant
57833540

My son age 23 was diagnosed w/bipolar II and has been unable

My son age 23 was diagnosed w/bipolar II and has been unable to complete required college coursework or hold a job. He is intelligent and feels he will never reach his potential unless he gets the necessary help to learn to manage his condition. He has been on medication which he feels helps stablaize his moods but still does not give him anough focus and motivation to do what's necessary to be successful. He has taken a medical leave from school and we want to find him the best intesnsive therapy possible so he can go on with his life. We live in Winchester, VA zipcode 22603. Please heelp us identify some centers in our area that may help him.
Therapist :

Welcome to JA.com. Thank you providing such detailed information in your question and "Already Tried" sections. It is truly wonderful to read about such a pro-active, and loving parent working to provide the best support for their son!

Therapist :

I've done a very detailed search of the resources and treatment options. I think what's absolutely critical at this time is that you make sure your son gets the very best "evidence-based" (science-proven) treatment for depression. I'm sure you've heard of CBT or cognitive behavior therapy for depression. Recent research and component analysis of treatment (looking at what part of the treatment works best and why) has shown that it is the "behavioral activation" component of CBT that is the most effective. It's also uniquely designed to systematically address the motivational issues you've described in your question, very effectively.

Therapist :

It is difficult or impossible to identify which inpatient or residential treatment programs effectively apply behavioral activation (BA) as a central component of their treatment. I strongly advise 1) learning as much as you can about BA and sharing this information with your son and other supportive family members; and then, 2) Contact Dr. Martel Directly. Since he is the key researcher and founder of the treatment approach he is the best person to ask about the perfect treatment fit for your son to available programs and therapists in your area.

http://www.christophermartell.com/ba.php

http://www.christophermartell.com/contact.php

http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_6884/is_1_6/ai_n28321090/

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Behavioral_activation

I hope my answer is genuinely helpful to you. If not, let me know what you feel I’ve missed. I can then improve my answer or opt-out of your question so that another mental health expert provides you with an answer.

If you find value in my answer, please don’t forget to press the “Accept” button so that I’m paid for my time researching and answering your question.

I wish you and your family the very best!

Customer:

Thanks...I do believe that what you've described is the right approach. My problem is where to get the help. Living at home last summer was not productive ....he was unable to complete on line classes and with few friends around he left for school feeling even more down and unproductive. He wants to stay in CT (we live in VA) and continue seeing his therapist, but for many reasons that's not a good idea. Nothing has really changed in the way of his mental health so we don't expect him to "get better" in an anvironment where he is totally unsupervised. Also Jason will not communicate with us for days which is extremely worrisome. We don't know if this is possible, but we would love to get him into an in-patient treatment center so he can work on his problems fulltime. If however, our insurance will not cover at least some of the costs we can not go this route (2 others in college). Our next option is an out patient center that meets several times a week. Unfortunately in my research I can't find a center that he would be able to commute from home. If we have to pay for him to stay in an apartment somewhere in order to attend a top of the line facility we would like to investigate that option. My question to you again....do you know any highly recommended treatment centers that have experience with bipolar? If you could possibly come up with some options for us to look into we would be most grateful and certainly willing to pay for your time. Thank you so much

Therapist :

Thank you for your response. I'm just going to take a few moments to read...

Therapist :

I've read what you've written here carefully. I'm very sorry to hear that you must be really suffering at times. My focus is always on making sure that the treatment approach is the best. It may even turns out that seeing a behaviorally trained therapist to do activation therapy would be best. My advise would be to contact Dr. Martel with your questions, laid out in simple point form, - your son's diagnosis, and that you're looking for a list of treatment program day or inpatient, in your area that has a strong BA component. You can also ask for therapist recommendations for BA. As far as recommending a treatment program in your area, independent of the kind of treatment goes, I can opt out of this question and another Expert may be more familiar with your general area resources. Does that make better sense? No need to pay for this answer if that's your choice. I don't mind at all.

Therapist :

...

Customer:

Thanks agian, How can I contact Dr. Martel? Can you transfer my question to another Expert and I'll awat an answer or do I need to start the process over. If so, how can I request an expert that may be familiar with my area?

Therapist :

No problem. One of the links I gave you is the page with Dr. Martell's contact info (e-mail and phone) I'll opt-out of this question and it will be re-posted for the other mental health experts to see. They will usually start a chat session with you if you're present or they will leave a message and check back periodically for your response. They will be able to see our exchange, and know very clearly as well that you're looking for a program in your area that your son can commute to etc. I will also forward the question to another expert that is currently online. Is that ok?

Therapist :

Here's the contact link again separately for your convenience:

Therapist :

Customer:

Thank you so much....you've given me a place to start...I contacted my Ins co and we have both in and out of network benefits so maybe we can invetsigate inpateint facilities . Thanks again and please, if you have any additional information to share or you want to present the case or my questions to another professional please feel free and contact me by email.