Mental Health

Have Mental Health Questions? Ask a Psychiatrist Online

Mental Health

I realized my anxiety surfaced after the 9-11 attack on the

Customer Question
USA. My mother died the...
I realized my anxiety surfaced after the 9-11 attack on the USA. My mother died the following spring and I started to cook for my dad. He is now 91 years old and living in his own home, but I continue to worry about him, my daughters and my 14 grandchildren. My husband is extremely supportive and patient, but I hate that my mind always goes to the worst case scenario. As a Christian, I know my trust needs to be in Christ. Why does anxiety still rear its ugly head and what steps can I take to minimize needless worry?
Submitted: 6 years ago.Category: Mental Health
3/18/2011
Mental Health Professional: TherapistMarryAnn, Therapist replied 6 years ago
TherapistMarryAnn

Hi, I'd like to help you with your question.

Anxiety and worry are a natural part of being human. With stresses often comes anxiety and worry. You have been under a lot of stress and grief. Along with discovering unresolved anger towards your mother, which may have caused feelings of guilt and hurt you are dealing with stress on the job and caring for your father. You have gone through many strong emotions recently and that is going to take a toll on you.

Yes, as Christians we need to lean on God for our needs. But we are also human too. Many of the people in the Bible had problems, including the disciples. They struggled with their very human emotions even though their belief in God and Jesus was completely without doubt.

Understand that worry and anxiety is about control. It is our effort to deal with the chaos around us. It is also about the future which we know nothing about. We can only control now, and not the future or the past. That is why relying on God is so important. God knows the future and understands our needs. The trick is learning to trust God and not our anxious feelings instead.

Try reading your Bible. Some of the best passages are:

Philippians 4:6-7

1 Peter 5:6-7

Luke 12:22-26

Prayer is also important. Pray whenever you feel you are anxious. Pray each night and morning as well. Ask others to pray for you. You may feel better just knowing others are keeping you in their prayers.

It is great that your husband is so supportive. Rely on him as you need to. Include him in your search for peace so he can better understand you and also to bring him closer to you.

You can also talk with your pastor about the best ways to handle your feelings. Often, pastors are very good at helping people with anxiety because it is a very common problem they see within their congregation.

Consider educating yourself about anxiety and worry. There are many wonderful books that can help. Here are some I recommend:

The Anxiety and Phobia Workbook by Edmund Bourne.

The 10 Best-Ever Anxiety Management Techniques: Understanding How Your Brain Makes You Anxious and What You Can Do to Change It by Margaret Wehrenberg

The Cognitive Behavioral Workbook for Anxiety: A Step-by-Step Program by William J. Knaus

From Panic to Power: Proven Techniques to Calm Your Anxieties, Conquer Your Fears, and Put You in Control of Your Life by Lucinda Bassett

Be Anxious for Nothing: The Art of Casting Your Cares and Resting in God by Joyce Meyer

Most of all, keep your faith and try to move ahead with your efforts to feel better. Sometimes, God gives us burdens so we can learn to rely on Him instead of ourselves.

I hope this has helped you,
Kate

TherapistMarryAnn
Greetings Kate,

Thanks so much for your answer...I really appreciate you insight and will check out some of the references you included in your answer. Thanks too for Scriptures that I can check as I know relying on God is so vital!

Janet

You are welcome!

It was a joy to help you. I am a Christian as well and it's wonderful to be able to share that belief and use it to help you. God is the answer to so many problems. I am sure He will be there with you through this.

My best to you!

Kate

TherapistMarryAnn
TherapistMarryAnn
TherapistMarryAnn, Therapist