How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Arundhati Your Own Question
Arundhati, Counselor & Psychotherapist
Category: Mental Health
Satisfied Customers: 259
Experience:  Licensed psychotherapist, Published Wellness Author
Type Your Mental Health Question Here...
Arundhati is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My step-father drinks at 11 am till most of the day is

Resolved Question:

my step-father drinks at 11 am till most of the day is depressed and he flicks off into rages for anything for 10 min - 45 min for one thing and this is just ranting.
He says that hes not a alcoholic but he'd rather drink than eat can you help or give some advice
Submitted: 6 years ago.
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Arundhati replied 6 years ago.

Thank you for writing in to Just Answer.

Your step-father is certainly creating an unhealthy environment at home through his drinking, fits of rage and ranting. Even if he argues that he is not alcoholic the truth is that his actions are most likely causing pain and discomfort to others in the home.

Is there anyone in the family who can encourage him to go for therapy/counseling? It is mostly likely that he is taking to drinking to cope with other issues he's struggling with in his life and therapy can help him find new adapting/coping skills.

If you currently live with your step-father I would encourage you to consider therapy for yourself so that you can learn the coping strategies you need to best handle the situation.

I hope I was able to provide some perspective.

If you had a specific question that you meant to ask in your post, or if I've missed any question/concern that you'd like me to address simply reply back and let me know.

Warm regards,

Arundhati and other Mental Health Specialists are ready to help you