Mental Health

Have Mental Health Questions? Ask a Psychiatrist Online

Mental Health

I have been feeling disconnected lately. Angry, sad, can't

Customer Question
sleep, and can't seem to...
I have been feeling disconnected lately. Angry, sad, can't sleep, and can't seem to get one thing accomplished. I feel exhausted and I have done nothing. Stress at work, daughter got accepted into college and I have no money for it. House is a wreck and I just look at everything and I can't seem to fix it or really care about fixing it. When I get home from work, I go straight to my room and lay in bed and watch tv. I am extremely busy at work and I push papers around but I am not really doing anything. I feel even worse because it's like I am "stealing" from the company as I am getting paid for doing nothing. I do not have insurance. Any suggestions on what you think is going on and what I can take if anything for it? Is there anything "over the counter" or would I need a prescription? Thanks for your time and attention on this.
Submitted: 6 years ago.Category: Mental Health
3/14/2011
Mental Health Professional: Luann, Psychologist replied 6 years ago
Luann
Luann, Psychologist
Luann :

Hello

Customer:

Hi

Luann :

You are right to seek help, you are not functioning normally. You really need to see a professional. There are agencies that provide counseling on a sliding fee scale. The United Way is a good resource for these types of agencies, call 2-1-1 or go to www.211.org to find agencies near you. Your County Social Service department is also a good resource for sliding fee agencies. Give them a call and ask for affordable mental health services. They may have funding available too. I do not recommend that you take the Cymbalta. This medication needs to be taken for several weeks before it is at a therapeutic level. Taking one or two will not be helpful.

Customer:

Ok. My friend has a local doctor she has referred me to.

Customer:

He would charge $50 for the visit.

Luann :

See your general doctor if you want to talk about medication. You will have to pay for an office visit but they often have samples you can take.

Customer:

I just know most of those medicines are expensive.

Luann :

Ask for samples, that will not cost you anything.

Customer:

I will. Thanks.

Luann :

The best treatment for you is going to be counseling and probably medication. Do both.

Customer:

Ok. Thanks again.

Luann :

Treatment is very effective. You deserve to feel better. You deserve to enjoy this time in your life with your daughter.

Customer:

I know. And I want to feel better. He father passed away 5 years ago and we have just had a rough time.

Customer:

Her grades aren't high enough for a full scholarship and I can't fuss about it as she has had a hard time with his passing. He left her a car and I had to sell it to pay for the funeral.

Luann :

I am so sorry to hear about your loss. You and your daughter would both benefit from counseling.

Luann :

There is probably financial assistance available for her for college. But right now you have to focus on feeling better. Focus on one thing at a time.

Customer:

I will have to make more of an effort. Working 2 jobs is exhausting. Thank you for your help.

Customer:

My boss just came in so I have to go. Thanks again.

Luann
Luann, Psychologist
Luann
Luann
Luann, Psychologist