How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Arundhati Your Own Question
Arundhati, Counselor & Psychotherapist
Category: Mental Health
Satisfied Customers: 259
Experience:  Licensed psychotherapist, Published Wellness Author
Type Your Mental Health Question Here...
Arundhati is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am 29 years old, 6ft tall and 267lbs. I'm uncomfortable

Resolved Question:

My name is***** am 29 years old, 6ft tall and 267lbs. I'm uncomfortable with going into public places like the grocery store or the gym. I have this irrational fear that people are judging me because or my apearance. But now I'm starting to feel that way at work too. I can barely leave my bedroom every day. I was diagnosed at 16 with ADD, and Adderall really helped me to do everything, but at 24 I decided to stop taking it. I feel like I've been slowly unraveling ever since. What should I do?
Submitted: 6 years ago.
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Arundhati replied 6 years ago.
Hello Maryann,

Thank you for writing in to Just Answer.

I'm sorry to hear you've been feeling this way.

From what you describe it sounds like you are experiencing anxiety - both around going into public/open places and around interacting with others (at your work etc.). This kind of social anxiety is not unusual and a lot of people of varying ages experience it.

There could be a number of factors contributing to it - e.g. recent life changes, relationship issues, self-esteem issues, work pressure, childhood issues etc. A fairly effective way to address it is to try cognitive behavioral therapy (CBT). CBT addresses the underlying beliefs, thoughts that you might be leading to these fears and helps you to replace them with positive ones. You can find a therapist who specializes in CBT through a directory like this.

I hope I was able to provide some perspective.

Please do let me know if you have any questions/thoughts to what I wrote above.

Kind Regards,

Arundhati and other Mental Health Specialists are ready to help you