How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask TherapistMarryAnn Your Own Question
TherapistMarryAnn, Therapist
Category: Mental Health
Satisfied Customers: 5810
Experience:  Over 20 years experience specializing in anxiety, depression, drug and alcohol, and relationship issues.
Type Your Mental Health Question Here...
TherapistMarryAnn is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My husband is anxious and depressed about things that i

Resolved Question:

my husband is anxious and depressed about things that i think stem from family issues from 20 years ago (mother and brother died). he is struggling to cope in our business and it is bring up feelings from the past. should he see a counsellor or psychologist? what is the quickest way to get help?
Submitted: 6 years ago.
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  TherapistMarryAnn replied 6 years ago.

Hi, I'd like to help you with your question.

Your husband can see either a Master's Level therapist or a psychologist. A Master's level therapist is a person who has a Master's Degree in either social work, counselor education or psychology. The initials after their names look like this: MSW or LSW, M.Ed, or MA.

A psychologist is a person who has a doctorate in psychology. The initials after their name look like this: Ph.D.

Either type of therapist is going to be able to help your husband. It is not so much about what degree the person has as much as it is how qualified/experienced they are and how comfortable your husband is with the person. Finding a therapist is like finding your family doctor. You sometimes need to see a few before you find someone you like and feel can help you.

There are many resources to finding a good therapist. You can start with your family doctor for a referral, or if you attend church, your pastor can help. You can search on line for a therapist in your area at Here is a guide on how to find a good therapist:

It sounds like your husband may have mild PTSD or possibly depression. A therapist can do a full evaluation and determine a diagnosis. Then they can let you know what they recommend in terms of treatment. Most likely, individual outpatient treatment will be the best option.

If the therapist and your husband feel he needs medication to help him deal with his symptoms, the therapist will refer your husband to a psychiatrist, which is a medical doctor that specializes in prescribing medications for mental health disorders.

Please let me know if you have any more questions I can help you with.

I hope this helped you,

TherapistMarryAnn and other Mental Health Specialists are ready to help you

Related Mental Health Questions