Luann
Luann, Psychologist
Experience:  Licensed Psychologist, 24 years experience working with children, adolescents, families and adults.
50737979

A person who is successfully treated for schizophrenia, how

Customer Question

A person who is successfully treated for schizophrenia,
how are they regarded?
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Luann replied 6 years ago.
Luann :

Hello

Luann :

Are you asking about the stigma of having a mental health diagnosis? Unfortunately there still is some stigma despite the knowledge that a mental illness is like a physical illness. There have been such great advances in treatment too that allow people to be successful. If you have been diagnosed with schizophrenia, I encourage you to educate people when it is appropriate. Also get involved with NAMI (national alliance on mental illness), www.nami.org. They are a great organization and do a lot of education and advocacy. If I misinterpreted your question, let me know, if you have other questions, let me know that too, otherwise, good luck to you!

Customer:

What I really wanted to know is, their real status, how they

Customer:

are regarded.

Customer:

What is the professional or accurate way of regarding them?

Customer:

I do also wonder what the stigma is, how is that expressed?

Luann :

I am not sure what you are asking, "professional or accurate way of regarding them". Any mental health professional would interact with a client who is diagnosed with schizophrenia in the same respectful manner that they would approach any other client.

Luann :

In terms of stigma, some people in the general community who do not understand schizophrenia or any other mental health diagnosis may be fearful or may have stereotyped ideas about what that diagnosis means. It comes from a lack of understanding.