How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. Bonnie Your Own Question
Dr. Bonnie
Dr. Bonnie, Psychologist and RN
Category: Mental Health
Satisfied Customers: 2189
Experience:  35 years experience counseling children and families
Type Your Mental Health Question Here...
Dr. Bonnie is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My adult daughter has a history of bipolar disorder and is

Resolved Question:

My adult daughter has a history of bipolar disorder and is currrently having severe obsessive compulsive behavior. She has refused to seek help. My wife takes a lot of abuse from her. Is there anything we can do to get her the help she needs?
Submitted: 6 years ago.
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Dr. Bonnie replied 6 years ago.
Hello and sorry for your frustration:

Unfortunately, it is not easy to force a person to get help. If you have recommended it and she refuses, then, she has tied your hands to help.

If she becomes a threat to herself or others, she can be involuntarily admitted to the hospital for 72 hours. In these situations, you would call the police to handle it and it is hard to watch her being taken away in hand-cuffs.

Usually, situations must get worse before the person will (or is forced to) get help. This is a very hard position to be in. Good luck.
Dr. Bonnie and other Mental Health Specialists are ready to help you

Related Mental Health Questions