How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. Olsen Your Own Question
Dr. Olsen
Dr. Olsen, Psychologist
Category: Mental Health
Satisfied Customers: 2336
Experience:  PsyD Psychologist
Type Your Mental Health Question Here...
Dr. Olsen is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have a 18 year old suffering with deprection for 2 years.

Customer Question

I have a 18 year old suffering with deprection for 2 years. He is a collge student having problems focusing. A friend of his OD two days ago, He doesn't believe it was a acciedent. He is on some medcation from the doctor, I have seen no improvement. He does not like the idea of going to a therapist.
Submitted: 6 years ago.
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Dr. Olsen replied 6 years ago.
Hi, Welcome to JA. I am sorry to hear about your son's situation. Let me ask you a few questions before I offer an answer. What happened to his friend? Does he live with you?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
He still lives at home right now. He is staying with his grandparents through the week to save gas money for school days. My son believes he gave up. Drug overdose.
Expert:  Dr. Olsen replied 6 years ago.
Hi, Thanks for your response. Let me say I can imagine how worried and anxious you must have been about your son's condition. It sounds like he may have symptoms of mild depression and/or anxiety. His difficulty focusing is a sign of anxiety. It is common for people of his age may go through emotional distress after finishing high school when they may have to start taking new responsibilities.
In any case, he may need to see his primary care physician for a physical check-up to detect and rule out any medical condition that may cause depression and/or anxiety. Then, if he is physically fine, he may need to see a counselor/psychotherapist OR life coach WEEKLY for 3-6 months or longer. If he is resistant to psychological counseling, he may have life coaching to increase his self-confidence, motivation/purpose, plan for the future, and take constructive action.
For psychological counseling,
he may benefit from having a Cognitive-Behavior therapy (CBT). CBT is a most effective therapy for anxiety and depression. There are several ways to find a psychologist or psychotherapist who takes your insurance.
You can call your insurance company and get a list of providers in your area. Or, you can search a licensed psychotherapist or a counselor who provides life coaching on internet- such as the PSYCHOLOGY TODAY website. Go to ( and enter your zip code and optional category of specialty such as anxiety, depression or life coaching. Read psychotherapists’ profile to see if he or she specializes in Cognitive-behavior therapy or life coaching. You may also want to create your mental image of psychotherapist that he wants to work with – Male or female? Old or young? To note, many therapists offer initial consultation for free. So you can see it as an informational meeting. You and he can ask any question. You can also negotiate psychotherapy fee and number of sessions. If you seek a low fee counseling or have no health insurance, you may call The United Way toll free # 211 to find the community mental health centers in her area in which she can get counseling even without health insurance. Additionally,
he may benefit from attending a support group for young adults. To find a group therapy or a support group for herself, contact a local hospital or a clinic by asking if they offer a group for people with depression.
If you like to find a support group online, check Mental Health America website section ( - Find a group in your area. Also,
you may encourage him to try some or all of the following to improve his mood - 1. Exercise moderately, but regularly, 2. Eat healthy but delicious meals, 3. Regularize your sleep cycle, 4. Don't drink to excess or abuse drugs, 5. Spend some time every day in play, 6. Develop recreational outlets that encourage creativity, 7. Distance yourself from destructive situations or people, 8. Practice mindfulness meditation, or walk, or an intimate talk, every day, 9. Allow yourself to feel pride in your accomplishments, 10, Listen to compliments and expression of affection, 11. Build and use a support system, 12. Pay more attention to small pleasures and sensations, 13. Yoga, meditation, Acupuncture, Guided imagery, and massage therapy may help. I hope your son gets help and support from a counselor or a life coach, his doctor, family and friends.
Please let me know if you have more questions or I have overlooked any. P.S. Please remember to click the green accept button. Feel free to continue the discussion even after you press the accept button; my goal is to get you the best answers possible. Warm regards,
Dr. Olsen and other Mental Health Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I can not get him to see a theropist his father pushed him in to it when he was young. The theropist discussed every thing with his dad. He lost all trust.
Expert:  Dr. Olsen replied 6 years ago.
Hi, Thanks for your response. Can he join a support group for teenagers/young adults of his age in a local hospital or youth organization?