Dr. Rossi
Dr. Rossi, Psychotherapist
Experience:  PsyD, LPC, CHt
19260254

My husband is retired, we have money to pay our bills, a roof

My husband is retired, we have money to pay our bills, a roof over his head, and he always seems to find negative in everything. The slightest little change in anything causes him to have anger outbursts. What is going on?

Different things may be causing this. Some speculations- depression which is not managed (he may need to discuss with his MD different medications or dosage if his mood is still low. Irritability and anger are common in those suffering from depression.

Individuals who are retired and no longer find a job or a title to identify with and occupy their time also can become depressed.

Thyroid dysfunction as well as lower levels of testosterone can cause changes in the mood.

He may benefit from doing something that makes him feel productive instead of stagnant. Talking with a counselor may also help. There are different options to explore depending on what he is willing to do. If he agrees with your observation and wishes to get better, there are things that can help.