How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask mindhealer Your Own Question
mindhealer, Therapist
Category: Mental Health
Satisfied Customers: 693
Experience:  Licensed in MD and am also a Board Certified Diplomate (Advanced Practioner) I have over 10 years experience
Type Your Mental Health Question Here...
mindhealer is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

When i was 15years old i was sent for the summer to my aunt

This answer was rated:

when i was 15years old i was sent for the summer to my aunt and uncles home in kansas and i was sexually abused by my uncle-i did not tell anyone until i was 26years of age i live in nebraska, so i was at that time with-in the statue of limitations-my therapist said i should tell my parents-which i did and they said to brush it under the rug and not to ruffle any family feathers-so i did what they said, but i felt like nobody cared-2-yrs ago my uncle died of a drug overdose-he also gave me drugs when he abused me-i am now 45yrs old with 6-children in my second marriage and cannot get passed my hurt-my parents said he's dead-get over it and they don't want anything to do with me-since i cannot get passed this hurt, mostly i cannot get passed the fact that they turned their back on me twice and now they don't have anything to do with me or my children-i have been very successful in life and blessed, but i am constantly struggleing with what happened to me-the hurt will just not go away-

Good evening. First let me say how sorry I am to hear of the difficulty and pain that you have endured over your life. Despite what your parents say...this is not something that one can simply "get over" despite the fact that abuse has since died....the pain it caused lives on within you. I noticed that you spoke to a therapist. My suggestion for you would be to see a specialist who treats adult survivors of sexual abuse. Essentially a trauma specialist. I suggest this because I am a trauma specialist and unfortunately see cases such as yours often in practice.

I would strongly urge you to call your insurance company and request a referral to a trauma specialist who has experience in what you've identified.

Please feel free to ask me any questions that you may have or if you need further clarification on any of the suggestions I've offered.

If you feel I've answered your question to your satisfaction I would greatly appreciate your clicking the ACCEPT button thereby giving me credit for the answer and suggestions I've offered you. Thank you for the opportunity to help and I look forward to your response.

mindhealer and other Mental Health Specialists are ready to help you