How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Kristin Your Own Question
Kristin, Mental Health Professional
Category: Mental Health
Satisfied Customers: 454
Experience:  Licensed Mental Health Counselor. 11+ years specialist in mental health. Expertise and insight!
Type Your Mental Health Question Here...
Kristin is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I believe my 19 y.o. son has ADD/ADHD but his grades have always

Customer Question

I believe my 19 y.o. son has ADD/ADHD but his grades have always been good and I didn't try and have him treated as I know that he's SO IMPULSIVE that I didn't want to have a teenager accessible to the meds. I understand that ADD/HD adults can go on to abuse alcohol/drugs when left untreated. I've learned that my son is now dabbling in cocaine which is truly unlike him to have taken this course -- he's a college student and most of his friends don't do drugs....I'm trying to get him help as I think the meds will calm him and he won't search out other but now the Dr. may not give him the meds...I'm starting to doubt telling the dr. the truth...advice?
Submitted: 6 years ago.
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Kristin replied 6 years ago.

Hello and thank you for your question.


Why do you feel that the dr. may not give him meds now?

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
He will make his decision on Monday (he's currently reviewing the testing that my Son has taken on Thursday). He told me that he may be hesitant to give him any meds because he knows he's abused drugs (cocaine)...but I'm just learning now after talking to a friend last night that many adults will go on to abuse alcohol/drugs BECAUSE of not getting the proper treatment for the whole thing is ironic...anyway I live overseas and return to my home/family on Tuesday and I really want to get him some help before I leave....I'm now just wondering if on Monday, he does refuse to offer this treatment, whether I just go with my son to another Dr. and not tell him about the cocaine...I've always told my kids never lie to your Dr. but in this case telling the truth may be what stops him from getting the help. I'm not sure I have a question for you, I'm just really upset. My son TRULY exhibits most of the signs from impulsiveness, cannot save one cent of his money EVER :), disorganization, messiness, cannot commit, stay focused...LUCKILY for him :) he's a pretty handsome guy and well liked and fun to be around...but as a Mother I see these definite signs and now am worried about him going this other path to self medicate....ughhhhhhh...advice???
Expert:  Kristin replied 6 years ago.

Okay, I understand your concerns and frustrations. You just want to do what is best for your son, and get him the help he needs.


I would definitely have him see the doctor and let the dr. talk with your son. He may decide to go ahead and prescribe him some meds. for the ADHD. Often times, people will start to self-medicate with illegal drugs as a way to manage symptoms, so you're right there is some irony there. However, the doctor also knows that if your son is abusing drugs or addicted to drugs that he first needs to be clean and sober, before any medication is effective. Basically he is telling you that he needs to see him in person to make the assessment. So I would take the wait and see approach. And if you can, go with your son that would be good too. What the doctor could do (is he is willing) is to prescribe the meds. for you son, as long as your son also promised to get treatment/counseling for the drug abuse. This is a possibility and the doctor should have some referrals that he could give to your son to see about therapy for the drug abuse. So perhaps a compromise and multi-treatment approach is what could happen.

You could suggest that to the doctor too. All the best to you. Please click ACCEPT button for this info. Thank you.

Kristin and other Mental Health Specialists are ready to help you
Expert:  Kristin replied 6 years ago.


If you have any more questions about this, please do feel free to ask me. If not, please do remember to click the green ACCEPT button, otherwise I'm not credited for my help today. Thank you.

Related Mental Health Questions