How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask TherapistMarryAnn Your Own Question
TherapistMarryAnn, Therapist
Category: Mental Health
Satisfied Customers: 5809
Experience:  Over 20 years experience specializing in anxiety, depression, drug and alcohol, and relationship issues.
Type Your Mental Health Question Here...
TherapistMarryAnn is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I wonder if its my head or real symptoms, im an x

Resolved Question:

I wonder if its my head or real symptoms, im an x bodybuilder and currently overwieght male 36:
I had a flue two months ago and after it receded i had some blood streak after i coughed, i went to see the doctor and he says its naisal discharge and gave me antibiotic. I got better. i decided not to look on the sputum as it freaks me out. but once awhile i do check and there is nothing(no blood). anyway i wake up this morning and go to the shower then come out to dry and i feel a small lump under my arm pit and i panicked. i see the doctor and he says its nothing to worry about but if its still there in a month come and see me.
im freaked out. my sister died of a weird cancer in the back called rabdomyocarcoma and i cant get over it. i have 2 kids that im a zomby to! i want my self to be happy so they can! what should i do?
Submitted: 6 years ago.
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  TherapistMarryAnn replied 6 years ago.

Hi, I'd like to help you with your question.

If you are feeling this upset by your symptoms, you definitely need to see another doctor just to rule out any possible cancer or other diagnosis and set your mind at ease.

If the doctor is able to rule out anything that is wrong physically, consider seeing a therapist if you feel that your sister's death affected you to the point where you are going to worry about your health consistently. Sometimes when we lose someone unexpectedly or when someone young dies, it can cause a stress reaction. You can also develop fears and anxiety as a result. Also consider if you feel you are still grieving. That can cause reactions such as yours, as well.

I hope this has helped you,

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Thanks for your answer, well The doctor i have seen today says it will pas and that he is confidant its nothing. let me tell you, i have been for the past four months checking for symptoms on my body. this is new to me!. my question is should i trust the doctors decision or find another doctor to diagnose. my wife is crying and thinks im crazy! how do you get pass thought of a serious disease even if it will not happen or it will?. the thing that upsets me is my kids, i love them to bits. but i keep checking for symptoms. the funny thing is im not always like this. i have check the hypochondria business and im afraid im heading this way. but how do you know the truth?
Expert:  TherapistMarryAnn replied 6 years ago.

So far, you have seen two doctors. That is definitely within reason, especially in your situation. If you feel one to two more might do it, then go ahead. Then you will have had three or four doctors opinions. That might be enough for you. If not, then consider seeing a therapist. You need to work on how these feelings you have now might be connected to your sister's death.

Keep in mind that most people with hypochondria are usually completely convinced they have a disease or illness, they do not express doubts, like you are doing. So if you are concerned, see another doctor. With your family history, there is nothing wrong with being sure. However, the stress you are experiencing and the stress for your family may be helped by talking with a therapist, regardless of how your physical situation turns out.

My best to you,

TherapistMarryAnn and other Mental Health Specialists are ready to help you