How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Mina Your Own Question
Mina, Clinical Psychologist
Category: Mental Health
Satisfied Customers: 188
Experience:  Working as a Highly Specialist Clinical Psychologist in NHS. Experience in both children and adults
Type Your Mental Health Question Here...
Mina is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My 11 year old son who has a very high IQ has trouble acting

This answer was rated:

My 11 year old son who has a very high IQ has trouble acting appropiately, this mainly occours when he doesn't know how to react, normally he is fine at home or with friends but yesterday he went to his new school and when friends of his sister came up to say hi at various stages he ran off over and back the room, his behaviour was that of a 3 year old, we have seen this same type of behavior frequently and have spoken to him about it.
Any help would be appreciated and this problem makes him look abnormal.

Hello and thank you for contacting us.

from your description I understand that your son may have some difficulties with his social skills. It is difficult to know exactly what goes on in his mind when he is amongst other people, without actually meeting him. He may feel that he does not fit with others or feel very awkward as he may not know what others expect of him or he may not know how to interact with others. He probably feels anxious and his behavior shows a certain level of avoidance. I would assume that the psychologist/psychiatrist who assessed him will have picked up some traits that may need some work. I would suggest that you went back to them and describe all his behaviors that seem inappropriate. They may be able to offer him some sessions e.g. for improving social skills and increasing his understanding in interacting with other people. Also, you can help him by "exposing" him gradually to situations where other people are involved. A psychologist would be able to guide you through a behavioral plan to help him become more familiar with stressful situations and how he can cope through them.

I hope this helps

Please feel free to share any feedback on these thoughts

All the best


Mina and other Mental Health Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
thanks Mina
You are welcome. If you need any advice in the future don't hesitate to contact me again.
All the best