How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask TherapistMarryAnn Your Own Question
TherapistMarryAnn, Therapist
Category: Mental Health
Satisfied Customers: 5810
Experience:  Over 20 years experience specializing in anxiety, depression, drug and alcohol, and relationship issues.
Type Your Mental Health Question Here...
TherapistMarryAnn is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My son seems to be experiencing some depression. He's 25,

Resolved Question:

My son seems to be experiencing some depression. He's 25, lives at home and has been without a drivers license for 3 years due to 2 duis. This morning when my husband and I got up one of his friends was here because Joe had called him very despondent. He was sitting with a shotgun next to him. He needs help. He still drinks quite a bit and seems to have periods when he just seems unhappy. He works in the family business and is reliable in that area. We need answers. Thank you
Submitted: 6 years ago.
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  TherapistMarryAnn replied 6 years ago.

Hi, I'd like to help you with your question.

It sounds like your son has two problems going on here. One is the depression and the other is the alcohol use. It is difficult to say how severe his depression is since he is using alcohol. As you may know, alcohol is a depressant and can cause depression to deepen and get worse. It may be what drove him to become suicidal.

Your son needs an evaluation immediately. Take him to the ER and let them know he is suicidal with a plan. If your son will not sign himself in to the hospital, then you may need to 302 him, which is an involuntary commitment. He needs help right now so it is important he get it right away.

He then needs to follow through with an alcohol treatment program. Hopefully, he will be willing to see that he has a problem and will work on it. The biggest obstacle to his treatment is if he is in denial about his alcohol addiction.

The doctor will most likely put him on medications and it is important that he follow through with any recommended treatment. It may take a while for him to feel better, but if he follows through, he can recover.

Contact Al Non- - for assistance for your family and on how to help your son. There are groups you can go to for support and ideas of how to help.

I hope this has helped you,

TherapistMarryAnn and other Mental Health Specialists are ready to help you

Related Mental Health Questions