Luann
Luann, Psychologist
Experience:  Licensed Psychologist, 24 years experience working with children, adolescents, families and adults.
50737979

My son has learning disabilities and he is 26 years old. His

My son has learning disabilities and he is 26 years old. His doctor says he can live on his own. He only makes 14k a year and owes about 12K in debt. He is agressive with me and I want him out of my house. he does not pay rent only food for himself. What should I do? He argues with me and I ask him to stop and he keep on. I am a divorced parent and his dad is not part of his life by his choice.
Luann :

Hello

Luann :

You are right to want your 26 year old son to move out. You say he has a learning disability, this alone should not prevent him from being independent, are there other problems?

Luann :

The police are on the right track. Give you son a date that you expect him to move out. If necessary give him a list of resources that could assist him like the phone number for Social Services, a counseling center, independent living skills program. Offer assistance or advice only if he asks and then just point him in the right decision, don't give him the answers.

Customer:

He just argues with me and doesn't stop when I ask him to and he is very demanding

Luann :

You do not need to put up with this. Put the move out date in writing and get him to sign it if possible, give him a copy and keep a copy. If he gives you trouble when the date comes, it will give you leverage when you call the police.

Customer:

I had call family services and he is 3,000 on waiting list. Funding a problem.

Customer:

That sounds good

Customer:

Thanks for understanding

Luann :

You could also talk to legal aid to see what other options you have as a parent/landlord. Keep remembering that he is an adult and he will figure out how to live independently.