How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Arundhati Your Own Question
Arundhati, Counselor & Psychotherapist
Category: Mental Health
Satisfied Customers: 259
Experience:  Licensed psychotherapist, Published Wellness Author
Type Your Mental Health Question Here...
Arundhati is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My wife has neuropathy has nerve problems, has attacks that

Resolved Question:

My wife has neuropathy has nerve
problems, has attacks
that cause her to have crying spells.
mental health people
have no answers. Can
someone help her?
Submitted: 6 years ago.
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Arundhati replied 6 years ago.

Thank you for writing in to Just Answer.

I'd like to ask you a question so that I can provide the best answer.

Does your wife have a formal psychiatric diagnosis? And if yes, what is it and also when was she last diagnosed?

I'll wait for your response before I put together my detailed answer.

Many thanks,

Customer: replied 6 years ago.

She was diagnosed as bi-polar by one psychrist several years ago. Later another

psychrist said she was not bi=polar. She was sucessfully treated with effexor and

depacote. now these dont work. The crying spells are a fairly new event. (last 2

years). she has hot spells (flashes) not related to menopause. The Neuropathy

is very painful and she is now alergic to codine.

Husband. Darrel Vernon

Expert:  Arundhati replied 6 years ago.

Thank you very much for the additional information.

If you had to ask a specific question - what would that be? I want to be sure that I provide you with the answer to the question you're looking for.

Many thanks and I'll wait for your response.


Customer: replied 6 years ago.
My Question: What is the best course of action to take to deal with
our problems. Keeping in mind the limited funds available. We have
Secure Horizons for insurance coverage. (Not much better than Medi-
Expert:  Arundhati replied 6 years ago.

Thank you for your question.

Based on what you describe I would recommend a few different things. First of all, a psychiatric assessment will be useful in determining the mental health issues she might be dealing with at the present moment. Accordingly, suitable medications can be prescribed.

The crying spells clearly indicate that there are emotional issues that she's facing. The crying could be symptoms of depression or a host of other factors. Behavior therapy is highly recommended in this case. A counselor/therapist will be able to get to the root of the thoughts/feelings that lead to her wanting to cry and help her work through those. There are many clinics/therapists that offer reduced fee services or sliding scale fees upon request. If your insurance does not cover mental health therapy, you can even check out any university counseling clinics in your town/city as they often have free or highly subsidized therapy ($30 a session) available.

I hope I have been able to provide some direction. Please do let me know if you have further questions/thoughts/clarifications.

Warm regards,

Arundhati and other Mental Health Specialists are ready to help you