How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Luann Your Own Question
Luann, Psychologist
Category: Mental Health
Satisfied Customers: 158
Experience:  Licensed Psychologist, 24 years experience working with children, adolescents, families and adults.
Type Your Mental Health Question Here...
Luann is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

my husband and I have been married 35 years. We have 3 grown

Resolved Question:

my husband and I have been married 35 years. We have 3 grown daughters, 1 married, 2 engaged. They are all professionals , well adjusted and happy. We have an empty sad marriage. he was a medical professional, self employed, a nice man, never worked > 32 hours / wk. he hid debt and has had major tax issues. He spends all year paying last years taxes and for 6 years cannot catch up. We have seen 4 therapists, he does not talk. He sold his business due to a need for open heart surgery last April. I now find out there was >300,000.00 debt ! There is 105,000.000 in a retirement account. the taxes were not paid on the sale of the practice and they will be 140,000.000. I just found out. I am overwhelmed and angry. What is wrong with him ? I work part time. I want to leave, but am trapped by the economy.
Submitted: 6 years ago.
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Luann replied 6 years ago.

Luann :


Luann :

What a horrific situation and you have certainly done what you can to change things. It is difficult to say what is wrong with him. That is a question best posed to the therapist who is working with the two of you. Regardless of what is wrong with him, it is unlikely that he will change. You have to focus on yourself. You may not be able to leave him right now but you can start planning to leave. Start seeing your therapist more often. Talk to an attorney. Start working more and/or start looking a job that can support you. Make a plan and start taking what action you can today.

Luann and 2 other Mental Health Specialists are ready to help you