How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Annie Murdach Your Own Question
Annie Murdach
Annie Murdach, Mental Health Professional
Category: Mental Health
Satisfied Customers: 143
Experience:  Master's degree in Educational Psychology and Counselor Education. LCPC in Illlinois
Type Your Mental Health Question Here...
Annie Murdach is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My friend lives in Cheraw and his wife has something wrong

Customer Question

My friend lives in Cheraw and his wife has something wrong with her mind. She talks to about 6-7 voices daily, says she's marrying God, she talks about big spiders and stuff. We believe its schizophrenzia. Its been going on for over 2years. She doesnt need help she says and takes no medicins.
My friend tried to call her doctor,he said call the cops...cops went to his house and could see she is not right. They convinced her to go to the hospital with him. He took her but she refused to get out of the car and nurses said they couldnt force her in.
She is threatening to 'put a knife into him' and 'cram his body parts'...she said she is marrying God and he asked her what is going to happen with him...she said 'you'll see'...
What can he do? Is there someone in Cheraw who can help him or get her admitted to a mental hospital or something? I mean this woman is threatening to kill him and no one is listening or helping him...There s no way that she will accept to admit herself to hos
Submitted: 6 years ago.
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Annie Murdach replied 6 years ago.
Hello and thank you for using Just Answer.

This is a very delicate situation and I am sure you and your friend feel helpless. You are most likely right that this woman is suffering from some form of schizophrenia or psychosis. Since she has made statements about harming her husband and is not mentally stable at this time, she does need hospitalization. Getting her there is another issue. The doctor was right to involve the police. However, the police need to be the ones to transport her to the hospital. It is important to mention the following to the police when making that call:

-she is threatening to hurt her husband
-she is mentally unstable and you are concerned about her welfare
-she refuses voluntary treatment

You can also call her doctor again and let him/her know what happened. The doctor may choose to get involved (talk to the police) or may just give further instructions. Once at the hospital, the police (or husband) should ask for a psychiatric evaluation and someone familiar with her statements and actions should be present to help give accurate information.

I wish you the best of luck in this situation.