Mental Health

Have Mental Health Questions? Ask a Psychiatrist Online

Mental Health

I feel sad most of the days and my boyfriend is hurt by my

Customer Question
sudden mood changes. He is...
I feel sad most of the days and my boyfriend is hurt by my sudden mood changes. He is tired of dealing with my depression. I feel like i need something to focus on besides my boyfriend because right now he is at the center of me and everytime he is not with me i cry or get sad. I don't want it to be like that i want to be able to tell him how my day was and not just answer "same as always" ... What can i do to stop my negative mentality, and what can i do to change my depression so i don't hurt our five year relationship? I feel dumb for being sad for nothing, my life is perfect and i have nothing to worry about and yet i still sit in my room and stare at the walls thinking i'm no good. Why? what should i do to get over this? it has been a long time and i want to change for the good of me and my relationship, i am super shy and maybe that's holding me back. i appreciate the help .
Submitted: 6 years ago.Category: Mental Health
2/2/2011
Mental Health Professional: mindhealer, Therapist replied 6 years ago
mindhealer
mindhealer, Therapist

Good evening. FIrst let me say that I am truly sorry to hear of the pain that you are in. Based on what you've clearly identified in your question it sounds as though you are and have been experiencing a clinical depression. Oftentimes individuals who may have a genetic predisposition to depression can feel the way you are describing with no logical or rational basis for the negative feelings.

My suggestion would be for you to start by seeing a psychiatrist to be evaluated for an antidepressant. I would also suggest that you see a therapist so that you have someone to talk things through with. This way you have an outlet for the negative thoughts and emotions and they can help you to restructure your way of thought to help you manage better your thoughts and thereby manage your emotions and the behavioral results as well.

Please let me know if you have any further questions as I would be happy to answer anything further you may have.

If you feel I've answered your question to your satisfaction I would sincerely ***** ***** clicking the ACCEPT button thereby giving me credit for the answer I've provided. I wish you well and look forward to your response. Thank you for the opportunity to help you.

Relist: Answer came too late.
mindhealer
mindhealer
mindhealer, Therapist