Mental Health

Have Mental Health Questions? Ask a Psychiatrist Online

Mental Health

I am a 50 year old man, and I suffer from depression. I am

Customer Question
married with two sons, one...
I am a 50 year old man, and I suffer from depression. I am married with two sons, one of 14 and one of 11.
I am afraid to sleep, as I have terrible nightmares. I don't know what to do, or who to speak to. My wife says I am being silly, and I should pull myself together. I am exhauseted, and cannot seem to find a way out of this. Please help.
Andre
Submitted: 6 years ago.Category: Mental Health
2/1/2011
Mental Health Professional: Dr. Rossi, Psychotherapist replied 6 years ago
Dr. Rossi
Dr. Rossi, Psychotherapist

Are you taking any psychotropic medication for the depression? This sort of medication may cause vivid dreams in some individuals.

If you are not sleeping well and if you're not on medication, the depression itself can cause unpleasant persecutory dreams.

Depending on what is triggering your depression (if you have a history of clinical depression or if a recent event had triggered it), the treatment options can vary.

In the first case, medication would be most helpful to bring the brain chemistry to a certain baseline.

Psychotherapy is another option and both can be combined.

If your job provides EAP benefits, you may be entitled to some free counseling sessions. If you have commercial insurance, they will give you the in network referrals for both psychiatrist and counselor. If you do not have insurance, the United Way toll free #211 will provide names of the community mental health centers.

The preferred choice would be to see a psychiatrist instead of a general doc and then explore the other therapy options.

Sorry, but this does not help me right now. I need to be reffered to a councillor in Cape Town, who has experience in war related, post traumatic stress disorder. I was in Angola between 1980, and 1884, and am unable to get certain images out of my mind. I was diagnosed with PTSD, about 15 years ago, and was told that time would heal, but it has got worse as i get older. I am being driven crazy. I would dearly love to be able to talk to my wife about this, but she cannot seem to understand what I am going through.

I am absolutely desperate, and am considering checking into hospital.

Hence the question posed? How are experts to guess if the client does not elaborates about what is it they need? Questions are not answers- they don't cost you.

My apology, I did not know what to expect.

I am not taking any medication, and never have. I am not sure if medication would be the solution, where I am basically and simply looking for someone to talk to, who would understand, and offer some practical possible solution. I have always attempted to face this burden, and to deal with it, with a positive mind, and proactive distraction.

All right, I'm opting out in the event that a therapist from SA is on line and can offer referrals for you to see someone in your area.
Dr. Rossi
Dr. Rossi
Dr. Rossi, Psychotherapist