Dr. Shirley Schaye
Dr. Shirley Schaye, Doctor
Experience:  PhD-Psych; Certif. Psychoanalyst NPAP& NYFS; Memb.APsaA;IPA; Pub.Author; Teach/Supervise Therapy
45897396

My best friend (female aged 18) is really worrying me. We

Customer Question

My best friend (female aged 18) is really worrying me. We have only been friends for just a year and a half and in this time have fallen out a lot because she has either lied about something or been angry with me for no apparent reason embarrassing me in front of friends at college. It has come to my attention that she is a compulsive liar. I seem to be her only friend because I see good in her and want to help her. Her most recent lie is that she tried to commit suicide by overdose, was unconscious, had to be taken to the hospital and have her stomach pumped. Her story does not add up and has just clarified for me that she does has a serious problem. She is in complete denial. What can i do to help her? Any advice would be much appreciated, thanks!
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Dr. Shirley Schaye replied 6 years ago.
Thank you for contacting Just Answer. I am sorry to hear about the problems your friend is experiencing, She MUST get herself into treatment ASAP. The fact that she has made a suicidal attempt she should not be without treatment.
What she should do is contact the counseling office at college. They are very good at helping college students and they keep things confidential.
I'll pause hereand await your response.
I'll pause here and await your response.