How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. Rossi Your Own Question
Dr. Rossi
Dr. Rossi, Psychotherapist
Category: Mental Health
Satisfied Customers: 4627
Experience:  PsyD, LPC, CHt
Type Your Mental Health Question Here...
Dr. Rossi is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Ive never been diagnosed with add, im now 21 and realizing

Resolved Question:

I've never been diagnosed with add, i'm now 21 and realizing I may have it. I took the online test and scored a 74, how should I approch my doctor. I have a history of narcotic abuse that I did get treated, so I don't want him to think nor am I drug seeking. What do I do?
Submitted: 6 years ago.
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Dr. Rossi replied 6 years ago.



If you're referring to your psychiatrist, you'll have to make sure that he treats adult ADD. Some psychiatrists do not. In that case, you can consult with someone who does.

You may ask for non stimulant medication options. Any prescribing physician would want to conduct their own evaluation to determine if ADD/ADHD is a problem or rule it out.

Dr. Rossi and other Mental Health Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I'm referring to my family doctor.
Expert:  Dr. Rossi replied 6 years ago.
The PCP may not want to treat ADD or if he does, would opt most likely for the non stimulant meds. It is always best to have this covered by a psychiatrist who specialises in adult ADD because a family doctor is not really trained in psychiatric disorders and their assessment