Mental Health

Have Mental Health Questions? Ask a Psychiatrist Online

Mental Health

My 6 year old daughter has fear and anxiety at home and at

school and it is getting...
My 6 year old daughter has fear and anxiety at home and at school and it is getting worse. She hides under tables, refuses to participate in activites, especially if it's loud or there are a lot of people. While we are waiting for psych eval, how do we proceed? tiptoe, force participation, nurture and coddle? we don't know what to do but we are exhausted.
2/1/2011
Bill
Bill, LCSW, Consultant, Expert Witness
Bill :

Hello- Thank you for asking the question here at JustAnswer. I have read what you have written and am happy to respond.

Bill :

I am sorry to hear that your child is having this problem with fear and anxiety.

Customer:

Any ideas?

Bill :

Are you aware of anything that may have caused this and how long has it been going on?

Customer:

She has been sisnsitive since she was born, espec to noise, crowds, etc, but it has gotten worse since my last depressive episode. i have rapid cycling bipolar

Customer:

but she had prob b4 that

Customer:

I also am under excellent care and am feeling good currently. I take pains to conceal, but she is very intuitive

Bill :

How long before you have an appointment for her to be seen?

Bill :

Child Psychiatrist?

Customer:

Yes, still waiting to hear when appt is, waiting lists everwhere up here

Bill :

She should be seen by a Board Certified Child Psychiatrist if possible as she will most likely need some medication to help get this under control as well as some behavioral therapy.

Bill :

Here is some detailed information from the American Academy of Child Psychiatry regarding Anxiety in Children

Customer:

what kind of behavioral therapy? Any tips for us as parents as to what to do with here in the mean time? Tantrums are every day,. She says she is scared.

Customer:

kay....

Customer:

do you think add? she normally is shy and quiet, except when she is upset

Bill :

could be adhd or a combination. Since you have bipolar she could also have some of these issues.

Customer:

withdrawn even

Customer:

if psych wants to medicate immediately, what other options do I have?

Bill :

Are you opposed to medication?

Customer:

do you recommend "the explosive child" by gottman? I'd like to use meds as last resort since she is so young. although i recogniz e they have done great things for me....

Bill :

I have worked with children for 30 years and without a combination of medication and therapy, this is not going to improve and the behavioral is going to worsen. I know John and have read his book and I don't think this is the case with your daughter.

Bill :

Are you waiting for her to be seen at a community mental health center?

Customer:

kay....no. we live in a very rural area and it is difficlut to get med professionals to live and work in our area. The provider we are waiting for works for a major hospital but is the only child psyciatrist in the area and is only avail for appts 1 day a week. we have great insurance, just not emough providers.

Bill :

Thats too bad. I understand.

Customer:

I have thought about an er visit bc i know she would get evaled right away, but that's stressful

Customer:

I also have her on a therapy waiting list, but she see's a LCSW one day a week at school for now.

Bill :

Yes, what about her pediatrician for some medication to calm things down a bit.

Customer:

maybe still wondering what do I do for now? when she throws a fit, one of us wants to put her in time out, one wants to hug her. what do I do?

Bill :

You should try the tips I linked you to above. Main thing is try to be consistent with approach and follow through.

Bill :

Here is some information about medication.

Customer:

thanks for your help. I will read the links above.

Bill :

You are welcome. I wish you the best,'

Bill :

Bill

Bill :

PLEASE CLICK ACCEPT

Bill
Bill, LCSW, Consultant, Expert Witness
Bill
Bill
Bill, LCSW, Consultant, Expert Witness