How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask cathy Your Own Question
cathy, Mental Health Professional
Category: Mental Health
Satisfied Customers: 1436
Experience:  MS., MS.Ed., 30 years clinical and administrative experience in psychiatry and mental health
Type Your Mental Health Question Here...
cathy is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My wife has extensive Pulmonary Fibrosis, diagnosed two

Resolved Question:

Hi. My wife has extensive Pulmonary Fibrosis, diagnosed two years ago. I contacted you and spoke with Dr Wajid who suggested she should see a Psychiatrist. I am sur you will have the narrative but if not the findings are copied below. Is there anything else I can do before contacting the GP. Regards Phil
Dr Wajid :
Well surely it seems that her disease has taken over her calm
Dr Wajid :
Being handicapped and dependent , is a hard situation to cope with
Dr Wajid :
And from your history it seems clear that you are the only person around her during such periods of denial
Dr Wajid :
Therefore she bursts out on you to feel in control again
Dr Wajid :
Yes, this will go away
Dr Wajid :
She needs psychotherapy
Dr Wajid :
Either you can talk her out of it by explaining that she has to live with this situation and it would be easy for both of she if she would be more gentle
Dr Wajid :
Or else you can get her to a psychiatrist for psychotherapy which will definitely improve her approach to her disease and you as well
Dr Wajid :
I hope this answers your question
Dr Wajid :
Let me know if you need any further help
Dr Wajid :
Thank you
Submitted: 6 years ago.
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  cathy replied 6 years ago.

Hi and thank you for writing JA

I concur with your physicians recommendations. While most psychiatrists today do not provide psychotherapy, your wife will benefit immensely from therapy and possibly even medications (which can be prescribed by a psychiatrist or a nurse practitioner). It is a huge change when one goes from being independent and able to self care to completely dependent. It is not at all unusual when people who suddenly find themselves disabled become angry and take that anger out on the closest person to them.

For your wife's mental health (and yours as well) go get her to a therapist and help her to sort out her anger and process it in a healthy way so that she will no longer direct her feelings of anger and frustration at you.

If she sees the therapist and does not wish to return, let the therapist help you with this. We have a good deal of experience with clients who do not think they need our services and sometimes we are more effective with getting our clients help.

Let me know if you have more questions about this?

Warm regards,


cathy and 2 other Mental Health Specialists are ready to help you