How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. Shirley Schaye Your Own Question
Dr. Shirley Schaye
Dr. Shirley Schaye, Doctor
Category: Mental Health
Satisfied Customers: 1673
Experience:  PhD-Psych; Certif. Psychoanalyst NPAP& NYFS; Memb.APsaA;IPA; Pub.Author; Teach/Supervise Therapy
Type Your Mental Health Question Here...
Dr. Shirley Schaye is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I need a note for my job prescribing me as having postpartum

Resolved Question:

I need a note for my job prescribing me as having postpartum depression
Submitted: 6 years ago.
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Dr. Shirley Schaye replied 6 years ago.
Thank you for contacting Just Answer. I am sorry to hear what you are experiencing. First, does your obsterician know that you are suffereing from post-partum depression? You can do either of two things --- go to your obstetrician. If he knows about your PPD or tell him/her about it and then ask him to write the letter for you. If this is not a possibility, make an appointment with a psychiatrist to discuss your depression since giving birth. Then ask him/her to write a letter for you for your job.
Dr. Shirley Schaye and other Mental Health Specialists are ready to help you
Expert:  Dr. Shirley Schaye replied 6 years ago.
I'll pause here and await your response.

What Happens Now?

Your chat has ended, but you can still work with your Expert to get an answer to your question, if you have not yet received one or have her elaborate on the answer you have already received.

Come back to this page at any time to see additional information from your Expert. You will also receive an email when your question is updated. If you want to send a message to your Expert,or would like to continue with this chat use the box below. REPLY: Dr. Shirley Schaye
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
The thing is I had my baby in March 2010. I went home to my country and had spoken to my Dr about what was going on with me. I was supposed to return to work in July but my Dr wrote me a note for two more months of sick leave to deal with my issues. Now my job will not accept the note because it has to be written by a psychiatrist. Can I still get a note from a psychiatrist?
Expert:  Dr. Shirley Schaye replied 6 years ago.
There are a couple of things you may do. Either go directly to a psychiatrist and discuss all this with him/her. Show the letter from your dr. and tell them that your employer will only accept a letter from a psychiatrist.

Another alternative is to go to your dr., tell the dr. what happened with his note and ask your dr. if he could refer you to a psychiatrist and let the psychiatrist know that you need a letter for your employer.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I can't go to my Dr because he is in Trinidad. I'm in the US and wouldn't be there any time soon. Seeing as I have been communicating with you is there any way you can oblige?
Expert:  Dr. Shirley Schaye replied 6 years ago.
Unnfortunately, we cannot on Just Answer do that. It is not legal for us to do that. We can recommend what you need to do but cannot send you a letter without seeing you in person.
Do you still have the letter your doctor from Trinidad gave you? If you don't, ask your doctor from Trinidad to fax one to you. Then find a psychiatrist here --- but be sure to have the letter with you. Where do you live now? --- city, state and zip code? I'll try and help you find a psychiatrist.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Thanks so much! I still have the letter. I live in Elizabeth NJ 07202.
Expert:  Dr. Shirley Schaye replied 6 years ago.
Ok, let me see if I can find someone. I'll be back.
Expert:  Dr. Shirley Schaye replied 6 years ago.
Go to this link:

There are several psychiatrists. When you make the appointment describe to them what the situation is. Tell them you have a letter from your physician in Trinidad but you need a letter from a psychiatrist here --- that you do have your doctor's letter and you will bring it in.