Carol Kryder LMFT
Carol Kryder LMFT, Mental Health Professional
Experience:  APA Board Certified, Diplomate,Substance Abuse Professional, 20 years family therapy experience
13965555

I have been on Seroquel for Bipolar II for three years and

I have been on Seroquel for Bipolar II for three years and I am experiencing some bad side effects. I would like to discontinue this drug. What is the best replacement with least side effects. Weight has been a big problem with gaining of 40lbs. in three years. Thank you SE

Carol Kryder LMFT :

Hello and Welcome to JustAnswer. Your question is not closed until you are satisfied. I am happy to assist you with your question.

Carol Kryder LMFT :

The best mood stabilizer which does not have weight gain as a side effect is Lamictal. Most people tolerate it quite well, since it is not sedating. The only bad side effect is a rash, and if you get a rash you must discontinue it immediately. Please ask your doctor about trying that medication.

Carol Kryder LMFT :

Best to you

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I received the answer after I had already seen my doctor and she decided to put me on Risperdal 2mg and reduced the Seroquel from 200 to 100mg for four days then every other day for four days then stop it. Do you think this is a good route to take or is the Risperdal as bad as Seroquel? Also, is the reduction of Seroquel in this manner correct to avoid as much withdrawal as possible?
The titration (reduction) schedule sounds just fine. Risperdal is also used for bipolar and I think you should try it. Risperdal is usually tolerated well. If you don't like it though, ask the doctor about Lamictal.

Best to you.