How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask TherapistMarryAnn Your Own Question
TherapistMarryAnn, Therapist
Category: Mental Health
Satisfied Customers: 5824
Experience:  Over 20 years experience specializing in anxiety, depression, drug and alcohol, and relationship issues.
Type Your Mental Health Question Here...
TherapistMarryAnn is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Im 18 and last year i ripped my knee cartilage so now i cant

Resolved Question:

im 18 and last year i ripped my knee cartilage so now i cant play sports since im still in physio. i cant sleep im moody and i get upset and angry really easily is there something wrong with me?
Submitted: 6 years ago.
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  TherapistMarryAnn replied 6 years ago.

Hi, I'd like to help you with your question.

It depends some on when your symptoms started. If you started having trouble sleeping after your injury then the other symptoms showed up after that, I'd say it is connected to the injury. If not and you have had the symptoms for a while, that is something else entirely.

An injury can cause you lose sleep. One, you are off schedule. You do not have an outlet through playing sports, no longer have the exercise it gave you (which helps you sleep) and you are probably frustrated by the whole experience. It takes great patience to deal with an injury, especially a slow healing one. Most of us have trouble coming up with that kind of patience. Your sleep may also be interrupted by the pain of the injury. And finally, if you are on meds for the pain that is also going to interrupt the type of sleep you get by just having drugs in your system. Be aware of any drugs you are taking for pain and any sleep medication. Some drugs alter your sleep patterns and can cause you to react emotionally.

Also, lack of sleep causes many symptoms including irritability, anger and inability to control our emotions.

However, if you have had these symptoms for a while and even before your injury, then I would recommend you try short term therapy to help you explore the origin of these feelings and help you overcome them. Get a referral through your doctor or if you attend church, your pastor can help. School counselors may also be a source if you attend college.

Getting a good nights sleep will most likely help you overcome how you are feeling. Try these natural remedies first and if they don't work, ask your doctor for something to help.

I am not sure what you have tried so far, but going for natural sleep remedies first is your best bet. Here are some suggestions:

The standard warm milk with a bit of nutmeg. Yogurt and cheese too. They all contain tryptophan a natural sleep aid.

Almonds contain magnesium which helps muscles relax.

Hard boiled eggs are high in protein and help with keeping hunger away.while sleeping.

Tea such as chamomile and Sleepytime promote sleep.

Also, you can find a supplement called Melotonin. It is a natural occurring substance in the body. Taking this supplement can boost the level of melotonin in your body and help you sleep. Check with your doctor first though, just to be sure you can take it. You can find it in Walmart and GNC.

I hope this has helped you,


Customer: replied 6 years ago.
i never used to feel this way but it has been over a year now and the pain isnt that bad, i feel down a lot and upset iv been told i could have mild depression.
i unfortunatly hate milk and almond so cant take those.
iv tryed sleeping pills and smoking marrowana helps me sleep but i dnt like using drugs.
Expert:  TherapistMarryAnn replied 6 years ago.

The melotonin isn't a drug so you could try that and some of the other suggestions.

Also, I would try getting an evaluation with a therapist so you can rule out depression. If you have depression, the therapist can treat you with short term therapy called Cognitive Behavioral therapy (CBT). This has proven very effective and helpful in cases such as yours.


TherapistMarryAnn and other Mental Health Specialists are ready to help you