How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask TherapistMarryAnn Your Own Question
TherapistMarryAnn, Therapist
Category: Mental Health
Satisfied Customers: 5809
Experience:  Over 20 years experience specializing in anxiety, depression, drug and alcohol, and relationship issues.
Type Your Mental Health Question Here...
TherapistMarryAnn is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

What would "tough love" be for a 30 year old who uses

Resolved Question:

What would "tough love" be for a 30 year old who uses ritalin and drinks. She holds a full time job. Addiction runs in the family. She does not live at home.
Submitted: 6 years ago.
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  TherapistMarryAnn replied 6 years ago.

Hi, I'd like to help you with your question.

It doesn't sound like this family member is interested in stopping her drug and alcohol use on her own. That is a big step to someone's recovery, as you might know. Also, if she is still in denial that is an issue. Overcoming denial using means the person has a good chance of recovery.

I highly recommend that you try an intervention. I'm not sure if you have heard of interventions, but they involve family contacting a professional who can help in the intervention. You can find one by contacting your local drug and alcohol treatment center or your local community mental health center may have available resources for you. The family meets with the professional and the addicted patient. The idea of the intervention is to break through the addicted person's denial and help them see they have a problem.

Here are some sites that describe the process in detail and give you a better idea of what is involved:

There are also some books that can help you. One is Concerned Intervention: When Your Loved One Won't Quit Alcohol or Drugs by John O'Neill and Pat O'Neill

and another How Al-Anon Works for Families & Friends of Alcoholics by Al-Anon Family Groups.

Al Non is also a great place to turn for your family in dealing with your family member. They offer support and guidance on how to handle her addictions and recovery.

I hope this has helped you,


TherapistMarryAnn and other Mental Health Specialists are ready to help you

Related Mental Health Questions