TherapistMarryAnn
TherapistMarryAnn, Therapist
Experience:  Over 20 years experience specializing in anxiety, depression, drug and alcohol, and relationship issues.
54658078

My spouse is depressed and withdrawn when we go out socially

my spouse is depressed and withdrawn when we go out socially -should I continue to make social engagements with him or not?
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  TherapistMarryAnn replied 6 years ago.

Hi, I'd like to help you with your question.

There could be different reasons why your spouse is withdrawn socially. They might have social anxiety or if your spouse is depressed a lot, they might have depression and need to see a therapist for treatment. Depression can affect many areas of your life, including the desire to socialize. If your spouse receives treatment, they may feel better and be able to go out with you.

However, if your spouse is an introvert and not a social person by nature, then it is fine to let them stay at home while you go out. Or you could arrange it so your spouse goes with you for a few occasions and you stay home with your spouse on a few occasions. Whatever works for the two of you.

I hope this helped you,

Kate