How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask TherapistMarryAnn Your Own Question
TherapistMarryAnn, Therapist
Category: Mental Health
Satisfied Customers: 5809
Experience:  Over 20 years experience specializing in anxiety, depression, drug and alcohol, and relationship issues.
Type Your Mental Health Question Here...
TherapistMarryAnn is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Is it normal for someone that served in the Marines and in

This answer was rated:

Is it normal for someone that served in the Marines and in Law Enforcement to always feel anxious, nervous? I always feel like something bad is about to happen either to me or my family. I have trouble sleeping. I see suicide victims, car accidents victims from when I was in law enfocement. These images are constantly in my mind no matter what I do. I don't know what to do from this point on.

HI, I'd like to help you with your question.

Yes, it is completely normal for you to experience these symptoms given the nature of your career experiences and what you have seen. You do have symptoms of PTSD. Since you are aware of having PTSD, that is a good first step. Educating your self is also important. The more you know about what you are dealing with, the better you can help yourself heal. However, you need to do more to help yourself deal with the PTSD.

As you probably already know, you have having typical symptoms for someone who has seen a lot of trauma. Although self help is great and very effective, in order to help you deal with how you feel, you need to seek out therapy as well. Therapy can help you desensitize from the trauma and give you ways to cope with the other symptoms. It also gives you support, which you need to help you through. The Marines, through the VA, should have therapists that specialize in PTSD symptoms. Law Enforcement may also have staff available for you as well. You can contact either for help. Therapy techniques to deal with PTSD have come a long way and are gaining more and more ground in helping those suffering with PTSD.

Also, you may want to consider attending group therapy. Sharing your experiences with others who have been through the same kinds of traumas can help you feel less alone and give you avenues to work out your stress. This is not easy to do for some people, but the benefits are worth it.

If you attend church, you can also talk with your pastor. Faith can play a big part in recovery, giving you a place of sanctuary and comfort.

Support is the most important part of helping your recover. Try surrounding yourself with friends and family who understand what you are experiencing. When you have a bad time of it, lean on them for support.

A couple of resources that may help: This is a current article regarding help for those who experience PTSD through their experiences in the military. Many advances have been made in treatment to help military personnel.

Also, a book called The PTSD Workbook: Simple, Effective Techniques for Overcoming Traumatic Stress Symptoms by Mary Beth Williams and Soili Poijula is very helpful.

There are many resources to help you get through this time and learn to deal with the trauma of war and of police work. Reach out and let others help you recover.

I hope this has helped you,


Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Thank You very much for your guidence. The trouble is that people in my family think I am completly normal, and would not understand if I told them that I have PTSD. They look at the Marines / Police as being accomplishments and not hinderences. If that makes sense? I do a great job at hiding how I really see life, mostly because I do not want to "freak" people out. I should mention that I was adopted at the age of four years. I have never felt whole as a result. Even tho my adopted family provided for me, I still feel emotionally like I have to navigate the world on my own. I have heard that Valerian Root is a good supplement to take to help with anxiety and Social anxiety disorder. What are your thoughts on this new post that I have shared with you?

Absolutely, that makes sense. I can see what you are saying about the police and military being seen as accomplishments and not hindrances. So sharing with your family you feel would cause more problems for you. So therapy, individual and group, may be your best bet for getting support.

Valerian Root is a good option for you, however it is used to calm people in preparation for sleep and can cause significant drowsiness. There are some other supplements you can take to help you as alternatives to Valerian Root. Try Omega 3 fatty acid (fish oil) 1000 mg once per day has been shown in studies in the UK and US as an effective mood stabilizer (be sure to tell your doctor as Omega 3 has blood thinning effects and can impact prescription drugs you are or might be taking.) Along with Omega 3, you can take, also with your GP's permission, 100 mg of magnesium glycinate, 100 mg calcium and 10mg zinc (preferably liquid zinc). is a good source of pharmacy grade supplements of this nature.

Hang in there. You are already taking a great step in your recovery just by asking for help. Reaching out to others and using the resources you find, you will recover and be able to feel good again.


TherapistMarryAnn and other Mental Health Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

Thanks a bunch! Last question before I let you go. I am going to take your advice and seek out a professional to talk to. zI plan on doing this today sometime to set up an appointment. Do you think I should call a psychologist or a psychiatrist? Because of my level of paranoia and hyper vigilance, would simply talking it out work, or is there a balance problem within my brain? I have read about the Basal Ganglia, the ACG being the gear shifter in the brain, and also the temporal lobes all being hyper active with someone that has PTSD. What would you recommend as far as my first person to talk with outside of your help?


Hi, I am so sorry I could not get back to you. I had to step out for a bit.

I would recommend a master's level therapist or a psychologist as your first contact person. They are both qualified to do an evaluation for you and treat you. You can also see a psychiatrist, but they are more for medications, if you feel you need them. They can provide treatment, but unless you feel you need medicine, the therapist will do fine.

I think you might want to try the therapy first and see if that works to alleviate your symptoms. An imbalance in the brain is unlikely and even if you did have something like that, it would be as a result of emotion, which can be corrected by therapy and self help work.

Please let me know if you have any more questions.