How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask TherapistMarryAnn Your Own Question
TherapistMarryAnn, Therapist
Category: Mental Health
Satisfied Customers: 5808
Experience:  Over 20 years experience specializing in anxiety, depression, drug and alcohol, and relationship issues.
Type Your Mental Health Question Here...
TherapistMarryAnn is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My husband is having what seems to be like panic, anxiety attacks.

Resolved Question:

My husband is having what seems to be like panic, anxiety attacks. He's been progressively getting worst. Pacing, has to go outside. He just called me at work and said it was very serious and that he needed help. He won't let me ask anyone. Doesnt want anyone to know. I don't know who to call or what psychiatrist in my area would be good etcc. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Submitted: 6 years ago.
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  TherapistMarryAnn replied 6 years ago.

Hi, I'd like to help you with your question.


It does sound like your husband is suffering from anxiety and panic. It also sounds like he feels embarrassed by what is going on. That is very normal, especially for men, who do not want to appear to be weak in any way and not capable.


What he needs to know is that anxiety is one of the most common mental health issues. And the treatment is usually very successful. There are many resources out there for him, including books, self help programs, and therapy. He can also take medications to take the edge off while he seeks treatment.


The first step should be an appointment with his regular doctor. Other possible physical diagnosis should be ruled out first. If he is cleared physically, then the doctor may be able to prescribe a mild anti anxiety medication. This is not necessary unless he feels he cannot function without it.


The most effective therapy with anxiety and panic is Cognitive Behavioral Therapy (CBT). This is a short term therapy that has proven to help resolve anxiety quickly. He can also try the Mid West Center for Stress and Anxiety. Lucinda Bassett, one of the founders, has several books and an anxiety program on DVD/CD that is very helpful. There are also several great books including The Anxiety and Phobia Workbook by Edmund Bourne, any Claire Weekes book including Hope and Help for your Nerves, and

When Panic Attacks: The New, Drug-Free Anxiety Therapy That Can Change Your Life by David D. Burns. These are just a few resources available out there. You can find these at or your local library may have them available.


Let him know that treatment is very helpful and that he is not alone with this. It is important that he have hope that he will recover.


I hope this has helped you,


TherapistMarryAnn and other Mental Health Specialists are ready to help you

Related Mental Health Questions