Selah R, M.S. LPC
Selah R, M.S. LPC, Therapist
Experience:  Licensed Professional Counselor; over 13+ yrs exp working with adults, teens, & families/couples.
3241695

I am trying to find professional help in order to better

I am trying to find professional help in order to better communications with an adult sibling. We seem to be having a problem but I do not know what it is. We have not been able to communicate on our own and I would like someone to help get us started. We live in two different countries but I am planning on visiting her next month. It would have to be rather short termed during the visit or continue via internet (if that possibility even exhists. Do I need to look for a therapist, a psycologist, a specialist in conflict resolution or arbitration?
Selah R, M.S. LPC :

Thank you for trusting JustAnswer with your important question.

Selah R, M.S. LPC :

I would recommend working with a therapist/counselor. You may find it helpful to work with a counselor who has been trained to do family counseling or even marital counseling, as they have been trained to deal with communication breakdowns in relationships.

Selah R, M.S. LPC :

You probably want to talk to counselors now to help find a good match, and you may want to make sure they have time to see you for longer or more frequent sessions during your trip than standard counseling clients would need. For example, you might benefit from double sessions so you have time to get more issues out into the open.

Selah R, M.S. LPC :

You may even be able to find a counselor who is willing to send both you and your sibling paperwork, questionnaires, and other tools through email/fax so you can begin working on these before you meet. Sometimes these tools can help you identify what issues you most want to work on before you even go to your first session.

Selah R, M.S. LPC :

It can also reduce the amount of interviewing/history taking the counselor may have to do in the limited face-to-face time you have available.

Customer:

What a great idea!

Customer:

How do you find a therapist that might work that way?

Selah R, M.S. LPC :

Where do you think you'll be when you meet?

Customer:

In the Los ANgeles area, West Hills to be exact.

Selah R, M.S. LPC :

I'd start with Psychology Today's therapist listing website

Selah R, M.S. LPC :

http://therapists.psychologytoday.com/rms/prof_search.php

Customer:

I did check there but wasn't sure what I was looking for. I will try again.

Selah R, M.S. LPC :

You can narrow them down by price, zip code, specialty.

Selah R, M.S. LPC :

Then read their bios, see if anyone says they offer "phone" or "internet" or "e-counseling" services.

Selah R, M.S. LPC :

Many offer free phone consultations or free email consultations too so you can make sure they are comfortable with the arrangements.

Customer:

I will try and check. You have offered some excellent suggestions.

Selah R, M.S. LPC :

Awesome, and good luck. Repairing that relationship is a worthy effort. I wish you well!

Customer:

Any other suggestions as to how to bring it up to her?

Customer:

Where do I "click" for positive feedback?

Selah R, M.S. LPC :

I think you're offered to leave feedback after you hit "Accept".

Selah R, M.S. LPC :

Let me look up one more resource...

Customer:

Oops, how do I do that?

Selah R, M.S. LPC :

This book may also be worth looking at:

Selah R, M.S. LPC :

The biggest thing is to be honest with her, let her know that healing your relationship is important to you and that you'd like to work with a counselor to help that happen.

Selah R, M.S. LPC :

As long as you take partial responsibility (that this is OUR problem instead of HER problem) then she's probably going to be more willing to consider opening up communication again.

Customer:

Thank you very much. With your help, I will give it a try.

Selah R, M.S. LPC :

At the bottom of your screen is there a green button that says "Accept"?

Selah R, M.S. LPC :

If not I can change this from chat to a Q & A format and that screen will have a green button you can choose.

Customer:

yes

Selah R, M.S. LPC :

Thank you and good luck!

Customer:

How could I contact you if I need more help?

You can put "SelahR" in the subject line of your next question, or you can open this question up and follow the link at the bottom next to my picture. That will open up my profile and there is a box to ask a question directly to me.

The address is:
http://www.justanswer.com/profile.aspx?PF=3241695&FID=93

You are also free to post a new question for any available expert to answer.