Bill
Bill, LCSW, Consultant, Expert Witness
Experience:  35 years treating individuals, couples, families with mental health and substance abuse prob's
48585111

I am very concerned about my 14 year old granddaughter. She

I am very concerned about my 14 year old granddaughter. She is pushing her parents to their limits by her behaviour. Last night she ran away from home in the middle of the night. Thankfully we have her back safely but this is just one incident of many.
She is normally an intelligent happy go lucky girl with a great sense of humour and a caring nature - but there is another side to her - which is selfish uncaring and very self centred. Its almost like she is two different people.
I am concerned that she may have some mental health issues as this behaviour is so intense. I can see that she is currently very unhappy - she feels that nobody cares about her even though she has a loving family. Her parents have been waiting for an appointment with a psychologist since the last episode when she was hospitalised after taking tablets.
I am unsure if this is just a teenager pushing the boundaries or if there is some underlying mental health problem. This is tearing her family apart.
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Bill replied 6 years ago.
Bill :

Hello- Thank you for asking the question here at JustAnswer. I have read what you have written and am happy to respond.

Bill :

This is obviously a very upsetting situation that is occurring with your grand-daughter and after reading what you have written, it is clear that she is having significant behavioral problems as well as psychological in that she has been taking pills etc. This is beyond the point of pushing the boundaries however, it doesn't appear that she is suffering from a serious psychiatric disorder that cannot be reversed.

Bill :

She does need to be evaluated by a child psychologist as soon as possible, and if possible I would do so sooner than later in wait of the health system.

Bill :

I am providing you a link to the British Psychological Association. You can click on the FIND A PSYCHOLOGIST Tab at the right to find Child Psychologists in your geographic area. I would schedule an appointment as soon as possible.

Bill :

www.bps.org.uk/

Bill :

Here is a helpful link that helps to understand what may be going on:
http://www.aacap.org/cs/root/facts_for_families/children_with_oppositional_defiant_disorder

Bill :

I wish you the best at this difficult time. Please feel free to reply as necessary.

Bill :

PLEASE CLICK ACCEPT

Bill :

Bill

Expert:  Bill replied 6 years ago.
My response is above.......please reply as necessary.
Best, Bill