Mental Health

Have Mental Health Questions? Ask a Psychiatrist Online

Mental Health

My daughter is 35 years old she was taking dexaphedamine and

Customer Question
hi my daughter is 35...
hi my daughter is 35 years old she was taking dexaphedamine and smoking pot very heavely.She is talking to dead people she thinks her son is the devil she hates all her family she is sending horrible text messages she is writing a book belives she is a born again christian calls the police on me im her mother i have tried to help her she went to a mental health hospital and stayed there 3 days but they didnt medicate her she calls me horrible names and abuses me when i try to help her she also gives her son who is 17 heaps of pot as well will she ever get better or is there any way i can help her i am really trying but she rambles a lot and i dont know what to do what do you think her problem is thank you so much for you help
Submitted: 7 years ago.Category: Mental Health
1/2/2011
Mental Health Professional: Dr. Kaushik, Psychiatrist replied 7 years ago
Dr. Kaushik
Dr. Kaushik, Psychiatrist
Dr. Kaushik :

Hi there,

Dr. Kaushik :

Welcome to Just answer !

Dr. Kaushik :

Well , since your daughter has been using dexamphetamine , which is a psychostimulant drug , so she could have developed what is called as Amphetamine psychosis , which is a side effect seen in those who abuse this drug.. And this psychosis as a result of dexamphetamine , explains why she has been behaving with paranoia and has become delusional ( calling police , thinks her son as evil) and also has developed hallucinations ( seeing dead people ) . This is serious enough , and i would suggest that before she harms self or others under the influence of psychosis , you shall take her to a psychiatrist and get her started on anti psychoitc treatment , and if admission is required , the psychiatrist shall admit her as per his discretion .

Dr. Kaushik :

If , she resists you and does not comply going to a doctor , and continue to abuse dexamphetamine and pot ( which is making psychosis worse) , THEN you shall have to call up emergency and ask them for her transfer to an indoor psychiatry facility in the hospital , explaining them her bizarre behavior and her abuse pattern of drugs and her non compliance to seek help..

Dr. Kaushik :

I hope this helps..

Dr. Kaushik :

Wish you all the best..

Dr. Kaushik :
Dr. Kaushik :

Regards..

She has already been in a indoor psychiatry facility but they sent her home unmedicated she was in there for 4 days they didnt give her any medication at all

Well, i am sorry to say this , but your daughter did not get the right treatment at the hospital that you have taken her to , as she was released from hospital quite early and secondly she was not prescribed a single drug to keep her psychosis under control..

So, now you have two options -- first is to take her to a psychiatrist by yourself with the help of family members , who shall then admit her under his / her supervision in the indoor psychiatry facility , and first detoxify her of the dexamphetamine and pot and also start her on anti psychotic drug like either haloperidol or risperidone or quetiapine or olanzapine , any one of these anti psychotic drugs shall be selected ... this will ensure her control of psychotic symptoms such as delusions , hallucinations and paranoia..

Now , if taking her to the psychiatrist is not possible , then you will have to talk to the administeration of a psychiatry hospital or indoor psychiatry facility , perhaps a new one , and ask them for a transfer to their psychiatry ward , citing reasons of she becoming psychotic with ability to harm self or to others .. this will lead them to understand your situation and the they shall arrange for a hospital transfer..

So, the above mentioned 2 options are there for you , and in both the options , what is required is indoor supervised treatment , that is detoxification and anti psychotic drug treatment , under the supervision of a psychiatrist and this time ensure that all her symptoms are well under control and she has regained her insight and judgment before she is released from hospital..

I hope this helps..

Wish you all the best..

Regards..

Hi if she isnt treated for this but get off all the drugs can she lead a normal life How long will it take for all this to come out of her system and her to become normal again thanks

Well, since her psychosis is drug induced and so it is reversible , and there is a possibility that once she is brought off all the abusive substances , her psychosis shall subside on their own. Well, for dexamphetamine and pot , it would take somewhere around 3-4 weeks for her to completely get them out of her system , and once these substances are being slowly removed from the body , her psychotic symptoms shall start improving side by side , however , if her symptoms still persist after 1 month of stopping dexamphetamine and pot, then she would require anti psychotic drug treatment as mentioned above ...

So, i would suggest that you start the anti psychotic drug while she is on detoxification process , that is after stopping the abusive substances , this will not only get you faster result as far as control of her psychotic symptoms are concerned , but also , it will be ensure definite recovery , while, on the other side, if you take the wait and watch approach as described above in this post , then it would take some more time to recover and it may so happen that eventually she has to take the anti psychotic drug if her psychotic symptoms do not completely go away.

However, it is your call , i have explained both the options to you , which ever suits you , you shall start on it after discussing with her doctor / psychiatrist.

I hope this helps..

Wish you all the best..

Regards..

Hi i have gotten my daughter back into the hospital they medicated her but she managed to leave with a friend i got her back in the same day but we think she mayhave taken something while she was out now she is telling me it is all my fault and doesnt ever nwant to see me again for the rest of my life also telloing her son he is dead to her do you think she means this or is it just her state of mind thank you so much for all your help

Well, i believe she is talking in this particular irresponsible fashion because she probably is under the influence of some substance which has potential for abuse , and is not in the right frame of mind.

I think her stay at indoor psychiatry facility needs to be strictly supervised for her to overcome her addictions and become symtpom free ... so kindly talk to the hospital authorities and the doctor incharge and plan out a strategy so as to prevent her from going out of the hospital , and also to take strict action to regulate people who meet her as well to check the visitors of hers for carrying some abusive substance with them which they can give to your daughter..

I hope this helps..

Wish you all the best..

If you are satisfied with the service i provided you , then kindly press the ACCEPT button so that i get credited for the same .

Take care.. Regards..

Hi my daughter has been alowed to go home on her own for two days she seems a lot better but she still says strange things ,like as dad he knows he needs to tell you the truth,she dislikes her son and wont talk to him,she just seem right to me still but i think they are going to let her home she is on zyperexa 10 mg morning and night she seems to have a lot of hate in her and seems to be trying to hurt people still any input into this would really help me thank you so much
Dr. Kaushik
Dr. Kaushik
Dr. Kaushik, Psychiatrist