How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. Mark Your Own Question
Dr. Mark
Dr. Mark, Psychotherapist
Category: Mental Health
Satisfied Customers: 5334
Experience:  Dr. Mark is a PhD in psychology in private practice
Type Your Mental Health Question Here...
Dr. Mark is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My sister is suffereing from extreme depression. She also

Resolved Question:

Hello, my name is***** sister is suffereing from extreme depression. She also has fibromyalgia and suffers greatly both physically and mentally. What should I don? She has no insurance and no income. We live in Omaha Nebraska. I need to find a doctor that Believes in FM and will work with need for medication and therapy.
Submitted: 6 years ago.
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Dr. Mark replied 6 years ago.

Hi, Jackie! I believe I can be of help with this issue.

First, let me say I can imagine how worrisome this situation must be for you. Your sister is truly very fortunate to have you.

I infer from your having called the police that the depression got to suicidal attempt. So the urgency is very high. The fact that there is no insurance complicates things.

So, you may have to go to the ER of the big city hospital in Omaha that has a psychiatric department with her when she is suicidal. She may have to hospitalize until she's stable. Keep this in the back of your mind.

Next, you need to get her on Medicaid. It's the government, so be patient with them because you'll need to keep asking if you have the right person and the right department. The phone number in my directory for Nebraska DHHS is(###) ###-#### Get her on Medicaid asap. Once she's on Medicaid, then you ask for their provider list. You look for psychologists and psychiatrists. You want a psychologist as well so you don't just wind up with someone giving her meds and seeing her for 15 minutes every couple of months. You can interview the psychologist to see his/her attitude to FM. The main problem is that Medicaid pays very little so you don't know who might be on their list.

You then see from the same people at DHHS how she can apply for Medicare Disability. That will give her a different provider list. Medicare pays more so the list will be longer.

Really, these are the steps you need to follow. She needs long term care in therapy. You can't just be her sole emotional support. So do your best with Medicaid.

I wish you the very best!

Please remember to click the green accept button. Feel free to continue the discussion; my goal is to get you the best answers possible. Bonuses are always appreciated! If I can be of further help with any issue, just put "for Dr. Mark" in the front of your new question, and I'll be the one to answer it. All the best, ***** *****

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
She needs to be On Social Secuity Disability too. Is this the same thing as you mentioned or a different program and if different who do I cantact for that?
Expert:  Dr. Mark replied 6 years ago.
Good point. That is what I meant. I meant SSD which allows you to get Medicare, which pays more and thus more psychologists. Nebraska DHHS will be able to give you the number to call for SSD. Again, be nice and they will be nice back. It can sometimes try your patience talking to the government switchboards, so be patient with them and keep trying to explain what you are looking for.

All the best to you and to your sister! Dr. Mark
Dr. Mark and other Mental Health Specialists are ready to help you