How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. Olsen Your Own Question
Dr. Olsen
Dr. Olsen, Psychologist
Category: Mental Health
Satisfied Customers: 2336
Experience:  PsyD Psychologist
Type Your Mental Health Question Here...
Dr. Olsen is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

What can i do to help my wife with her anxiety what should i

Resolved Question:

what can i do to help my wife with her anxiety what should i do or not do?
Submitted: 6 years ago.
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Dr. Olsen replied 6 years ago.
Hello. Welcome to JustAnswer. I am sorry to hear about your wife's situation. Let me ask you a question before I offer an answer. Does she have any medical condition?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Expert:  Dr. Olsen replied 6 years ago.
Hi, I can imagine how worried and anxious you must have been about your wife's condition at times. It sounds like she may have anxiety and stress. Perhaps, her anxiety may have to do with some stress. She may benefit from having a Cognitive-Behavior therapy (CBT). CBT is a most effective therapy for anxiety. CBT for anxiety consists of Self-Monitoring, Relaxation strategies, Exposure treatments, Cognitive therapy. There are several ways to find a psychologist or psychotherapist who takes her insurance. 1. She can look for a licensed psychologist (Ph.D., Psy.D./State licensed) or psychotherapist (MFT, MFCC, LCSW) in a local community clinic or a local hospital. Or call her insurance company and get a list of providers in your area. 2. She can search a licensed psychotherapist on internet- such as the PSYCHOLOGY TODAY website. Go to ( and enter your zip code and optional category of specialty such as anxiety. Read psychotherapists’ profile to see if he or she specializes in Cognitive-behavior therapy and anxiety/depression. She may also want to create her mental image of psychotherapist that you want to work with – Male or female? Old or young? To note, many therapists offer initial consultation for free. So she can see it as an informational meeting. She can ask any question. She can also negotiate psychotherapy fee and number of sessions. The book Worry Trap by Dr. Lejune may be helpful to manage your anxiety. You may also check the link from ANXIETY DISORDERS ASSOCIATION OF AMERICA( for resources. She may also find a specialist in your area from the link - ( Additionally, she may try some or all of the following to reduce her anxiety - 1. Exercise moderately, but regularly, 2. Eat healthy but delicious meals, 3. Regularize your sleep cycle, 4. Don't drink to excess or abuse drugs, 5. Spend some time every day in play, 6. Develop recreational outlets that encourage creativity, 7. Distance yourself from destructive situations or people, 8. Practice mindfulness meditation, or walk, or an intimate talk, every day, 9. Allow yourself to feel pride in your accomplishments, 10, Listen to compliments and expression of affection, 11. Build and use a support system, 12. Pay more attention to small pleasures and sensations, 13. Yoga, meditation, Acupuncture, Guided imagery, and massage therapy may help. I hope your wife gets well. Please let me know if you have more questions or I have overlooked any. Warm regards,
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
she has seen an expert already. my question is about me how shall i handle this situation i don't want to do anything that will make her worse i just need to know what i can do or not do
Expert:  Dr. Olsen replied 6 years ago.
Hi, Thanks for your response. Perhaps, you should reassure her that she will get better as she sticks to treatment for a while. She is not going die.
Additionally, you should empathize with her anxiety and worry. You should not tell her that she has to use self-control.
Also, you may take her to an emergency room of a local hospital if her symptoms are unbearable. Please let me know if you have more questions. Warm regards,
Dr. Olsen and other Mental Health Specialists are ready to help you