How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. Shirley Schaye Your Own Question
Dr. Shirley Schaye
Dr. Shirley Schaye, Doctor
Category: Mental Health
Satisfied Customers: 1673
Experience:  PhD-Psych; Certif. Psychoanalyst NPAP& NYFS; Memb.APsaA;IPA; Pub.Author; Teach/Supervise Therapy
Type Your Mental Health Question Here...
Dr. Shirley Schaye is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have been seeing a psychiatrist for Post Traumatic Stress

This answer was rated:

I have been seeing a psychiatrist for Post Traumatic Stress Disorder, Severe Anxiety Disorder, and Depession. I had to change psychiatrists last year because my doctor moved. I am on the rolls of the federal Office of Workers' Compensation Programs (OWCP); and I explained this to my new doctor. I am required by law to provide an annual report to OWCP or I will be removed from their rolls. I provided my new doctor with at least five previous evaluations, including one from my previous psychiatrist. My new psychiatrist, of course, needed time to make her own evaluation to determine if my conditin is still related to my work injury. I provided her with evidence from the past year that I am still having to deal with issues of my work injury because of information I learned in 2008 and that have been unable to resolve with the federal government. My doctor told me that she was willing to do the report and is aware that I have severe anxiety connected with the report. She was provided with evidence of why this is so. I got permission from OWCP to allow time for the doctor to properly evaluate me. This was last April. In the past few months, I have asked her to please send the report, as my anxiety is increasing and I am becoming more symptomatic. She tells me at one session that the report will be done and sent; however, months have gone by and it has not been completed. My husband sent her an email several weeks ago to explain how this is affecting me. He finally asked for an office visit with her (at our expense) to explain how serious this is. I have to get permission from OWCP to change doctors. I cannot continue to do this. My PTSD involves trust issues with individuals in authority. I don't have any trust. There are few psychiatrists in my area who know anything about PTSD. The doctor prior to my present doctor treated me for nearly five years; and she was excellent. However, she closed her office suddenly and moved to New York last December. She offered to continue to treat me by phone. She had previously prepared a report for OWCP. At the time she left, another report was due. She promised me that she had prepared the report and sent it to OWCP. I learned in March, while we were still having phone sessions that the report had not been sent. She was also not sending me invoices so that I could get reimbursement for our sessions. When I told her that I would be removed from OWCP's rolls if she did not send the report or at least send the invoices so that OWCP would know that I was still being treated, she did nothing. My husband spoke with her on the phone and she promised that she would be in Delaware late April (2010) and would provide the report and invoices. We did not hear from her. As far as OWCP is concerned, I have not been evaluated since April 2009. The lack of a report from my previous psychiatrist and my present psychiatrist will cause them to remove me from their rolls. Both doctors have evidence of everything that I have been through and my present psychiatrist added the diagnosis of depression. How can I possibly trust another doctor at this point? I'm not even sure why I am asking this question online because you can't help me.
Hello. I believe I can be of help to you with this issue.

You and your husband need to send your old psychiatrist a certified letter telling her that if she doesn't follow through with providing the reports/records you need by say Jan. 5, that you will lodge an ethics complaint with the state medical licensing board in New York and and a formal malpractice suit with the appropriate prosecutor. This will absolutely get her moving!!!

Even though she treated you well, she cannot be trusted to treat you 'going foward' in time. Your past, trusting relationship means nothing, compared to the damage her inaction is having on your life at this time. I would also suggest that you attempt to set up an appointment with a clinical psychologist who specializes in PTSD, because they actually have more formal training in the specialized, psychotherapy treatments for this disoder, than most psychiatrists and general mental health counselors e.g., EMDR therapy, dialectical behavior therapy, cognitive behavioral therapy, etc. You might find that at this time, it is best to find a family practice physician who can manage your medication needs, and a female clinical psychologist to help you with the therapy aspects.

What do you think?

Edited by DoctorMichael on 1/1/2011 at 7:33 PM EST
Dr. Michael, Psychologist
Category: Mental Health
Satisfied Customers: 2177
Experience: Licensed Ph.D. Clinical Health Psychology with 30 years of experience in private practive and as a clinical psychology university professor.
Dr. Michael and other Mental Health Specialists are ready to help you
Thank you for contacting Just Answer.
Dr. Shirley Schaye, Doctor
Category: Mental Health
Satisfied Customers: 1673
Experience: PhD-Psych; Certif. Psychoanalyst NPAP& NYFS; Memb.APsaA;IPA; Pub.Author; Teach/Supervise Therapy
Dr. Shirley Schaye and other Mental Health Specialists are ready to help you
OOPS!!! Just meant to agree with Doctor Michael!
I think you meant to accept Dr. Michael's response --- not mine. I'm sorry about the confusion. I just meant to agree with Dr. Michael.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Dr. Michael, I accepted Dr. Schave's answer by mistake. You answered my question. I believe that Dr. Schave will be paid instead of you; and I do not know how to fix this. I also wanted to give you a bonus.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
How can I accept Dr. Michael's answer and give him a bonus?
I'm not sure, but if you report this to the moderator I would think they would correct it. I hope that this can be corrected. It certainly wouldn't be fair for me to be paid instead of Dr. Michael. I am truly sorry for the confusion.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Dr. Michael: In your previous response, you advised me to send a certified letter to my old psychiatrist. Although I did that, it doesn't resolve the situation I am in now. The psychiatrist I have been seeing since June 2010 was aware when she began treatment that I am on OWCP's rolls and require an annual report to show that my condition is still work related. I cannot change doctors without OWCP's approval. It was understood that she would need time to evaluate me before she prepared the report. I provided evidence that my condition is directly related to my work injury. She agreed, after evaluating me for over two months, that she would do the report. However, she has had one excuse after another for not completing the report. She has been completely aware that my previous psychiatrist did not send in her last report; therefore, OWCP has not had an evaluation since April 2009. I expressed my extreme anxiety over this many times. At each session, she would tell me that the report would be done the next time I came. My husband met with her on Dec 23 to plead with her to finish the report because my condition is deteriorating rapidly. This psychiatrist is doing the exact things that have caused the diagnoses she has herself given for my condition. She lied to my husband when he met with her. She promised three times that the report would be completed by Dec 28. When he called on January 3, it was still not completed. I sent her a certified letter informing her that if the report is not prepared by January 11, I am going to report her to the Delaware Board for Licensure and Discipline and the Beebe Medical Center because she has a contract with them. I have already notified them of her unethical behavior. They have not responded. She had her secretary call me on January 4 and tell me that I might not like the report that she sends to OWCP and that under HIPPA because I pay cash, she is not obligated to do anything for me. She doesn't want to see me again. I don't want to see her either. My family doctor is trying to get an appointment with another psychiatrist; however, at this point, I don't really trust anyone. I may pay cash; however, I send my invoices to OWCP and the federal government reimburses me for part of my payment. What does paying cash have to do with anything? This doctor is not the least bit concerned about my emotional wellbeing. She didn't ask her secretary to tell me that there is a misunderstanding or explain why she lied to my husband (she told him that she was unaware that my previous psychiatrist had not sent a report to OWCP in 2010). This is a blatant lie because I had an appointment with her on Dec 13. She had her secretary call my on Sunday night, Dec 12 and inform me that she could not honor my appointment. I hand delivered a letter to her that attempted to explain my severe anxiety over her failure to prepare a report that could cause me to lose my benefits. I have been through more than you can imagine; and it is not right that this individual can take everything away from me for no good reason. She knows that I have difficulty with people in authority, especially when they mistreat me. She knows that I can write, but would have difficulty in court because I get too emotional. I am not stupid. Far from it. I attached information to my Dec 13 letter that would give her absolute proof that her actions could seriously damage me, yet she has done nothing to help me. She has had over seven months to tell me that she could not fulfill her ethical obligation to prepare the report so that we could get on with my treatment. I didn't just go to her for the report, I went for treatment. My symptoms are worse now than they have been in over five years.