How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. Olsen Your Own Question
Dr. Olsen
Dr. Olsen, Psychologist
Category: Mental Health
Satisfied Customers: 2336
Experience:  PsyD Psychologist
Type Your Mental Health Question Here...
Dr. Olsen is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have been having disturbing dreams about my grandfather

This answer was rated:

I have been having disturbing dreams about my grandfather for the last two weeks. I remember some abuse by him from my childhood, but these dreams are much more intense and go much further than what I remember. I woke up in the middle of the night last week and had an image of him touching me playing in my head, like I was watching a movie. I was definitely not dreaming, rather I was wide awake. These images and dreams are very distressing, and I'm not sure why they are coming up now. I'm not sure what to make of them, or what to do.
Hello. Welcome to JustAnswer. I am sorry to hear about your situation. Let me ask you a few questions before I offer an answer. Do you have anxiety in general? Did you get treatment for the abuse you experienced from your grandfather before?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I definitely do.
Hi. Thanks for your response. I am so sorry to hear what you’ve gone through in childhood. It sounds like you were physically and emotionally abused by your grandfather.
I think you may have symptoms of Post Traumatic Stress disorder (PTSD) and/or Anxiety. Your nightmare may indicate that you still have PTSD symptoms and anxiety. PTSD is one of Anxiety disorder and its symptoms include anxiety, panic attacks, flashbulb memory of traumatic events, nightmares etc. Symptoms of PTSD are similar to Anxiety and Depression. In order to treat PTSD, you may need individual therapy, a support group for adults with PTSD and/or Pharmacotherapy like antidepressants (if depression or anxiety is severe). Do you feel anxious and/or depressed sometimes? If so, you might need to see a psychiatrist (M.D.) for medication evaluation and prescription. In my opinion, I would like you to try psychological counseling first.
You may need to see a licensed psychotherapist who specializes in PTSD. Cognitive-behavior therapy (CBT) and EMDR(Eye Movement desensitization and reprocessing) will work for both PTSD. EMDR and CBT (including RELAXATION TECHNIQUES, IMAGINAL FLOODING, GRADUATED & PROLONGED EXPOSURE, IMPLOSIVE THERAPY, STRESS INOCULATION TRAINING) are most effective for PTSD. You may find a licensed psychologist or psychotherapist who SPECIALIZES IN EMDR and/or CBT and PTSD & Depression in a community clinic, a local hospital or a private office setting.
You can search a licensed psychologist/psychotherapist on internet- such as the PSYCHOLOGY TODAY website. Go to ( and enter your zip code and optional category of specialty such as PTSD. Read psychotherapists’ profile to see if he or she specializes in Cognitive-behavior therapy and PTSD. You may also want to create your mental image of psychotherapist that you want to work with – Male or female? Old or young? To note, many therapists offer initial consultation for free. So you can see it as an informational meeting. You can ask any question and negotiate psychotherapy fee.
Another way to find a psychotherapist, you may call your insurance company and can ask for a list of providers who you may work with. If you have no health insurance, you can also call The United Way toll free # 211 to find the community mental health centers in your area where you can get treatment described above even without health insurance. You can get counseling for free or low fee. To find a specialist/therapist for PTSD, contact ANXIETY DISORDERS ASSOCIATION OF AMERICA( and go to the link - ( To find a therapist who specialize in EMDR, please go to the website ( and go to the section FIND AN EMDR CLINICIAN ( you want to heal your traumatic reaction on your own first, the book "PTSD Workbook by Williams and Poijula" may be helpful.
I hope you get help and support from your doctor, a counselor/therapist, family and friends.
Please let me know if I have overlooked any or you have more questions. Warm regards,
Dr. Olsen and other Mental Health Specialists are ready to help you