How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. K Your Own Question
Dr. K
Dr. K, Psychiatrist
Category: Mental Health
Satisfied Customers: 358
Experience:  15 years clinical experience in all areas of psychiatry. Holistic and practical approach.
Type Your Mental Health Question Here...
Dr. K is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have just been informed that the nurse practitioner that I

Customer Question

I have just been informed that the nurse practitioner that I have been seeing for my bi-polar meds has plans to leave the office and has left it up to me to try and continue with an other RPN. I have been with this institution for approximately 30 years. They have also suggested that send my files to my pcp. I am not comfortable with that, he is not trained in serving the mentally ill. Going to another institute is an option also but I have dealt with this other place and have had my problems dismissed , only my meds are prescribed. I feel that I need more than just med checks. I should include that I do see a private counselor but he can not prescribe meds. They want to have permission to send my personal files to my PCP. Can't I ask for my files my self, by law am I not allowed to have have possession of them. I was told that once my PCP gets the files he will not be able to send them to another doctor and that he would be unable to make copies of them. Is that true? I want have my files in my possession and no one elses. Don;t I have the right to have these. Please help. I have been trying to get SSDI for 5 years. I have had one hearing already and they have finally decided to let me have another hearing but they want the last 2 years worth of records. If my PCP can't make copies what do I do? I think having my own file is the best way to go and then I will make the copies needed. Can I do that? My PRN says they won't make copies anyway because soon (within the next week) I will no longer be a patience. Sorry this is so long and it may be hard to answer but I am not sure how to ask these question. If you nrrd more info I will try to answer any questions you have.
Submitted: 6 years ago.
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Dr. K replied 6 years ago.

You are definitely entitled to have a copy of your entire file; usually you just have to request this through the medical records department. I have in rare cases told the records department NOT to give records to a certain patient (usually someone with severe schizophrenia...because reviewing the records would only anger them).

You have every right to your records and they must give them to you (but there could me a wait involved...they don't have to provide the records immediately unless there is a true emergency). Let me know if you have other questions.

Good luck & take care.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
OK I have spoken to the records department and they said that they will make copies for me at a cost. ( they would waive the fee) I would think that my records are my records. All they shoud have to do is open a drawer, pull my personal file and hand it over. They said that they can't do that because there are things that have been recorded that could be detrimental to me to have access to. I am not sure what that means, but if it written about me I should be allowed to see them. I don't understand that "rule". Once I read something I am sure that I would remember the situation it pertains to. I also know that doctors write things in their reporst that amybe I don't want anyone else to read. Such as my actions towards myself or my treatment of others. I am pretty versed in the ups and downs of a bi-polar patient. I have been at both ends and thankfully stable for the most part for the last year or so. Do they have the right to pick and choose what pages I can have? Apparantly they are not familar with me because I could go to PCP and ask for all the meds that they wouldn't allow me to have. Woudn't that be a hoot! I could possibly get used to that and enjoy it.
Expert:  Dr. K replied 6 years ago.
If they are withholding certain parts of your record, I think you would have to speak to a lawyer to override that. I am not certain as to the legal issues here.
Dr. K and other Mental Health Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Do you have any idea why they would want to keep certain records? Would this be a practice that you as a mental health doctor would advise? Do you rhink that this might be a policy that all physicians use.
Expert:  Dr. K replied 6 years ago.

I'm not sure exactly why they would...the only time I've ever done it is with schizophrenic patients who are in complete denial of their illness because reading my reports about them being delusional would anger them at me and also weaken our therapeutic working relationship.

As far as I know, this policy is usually only used by psychiatrists (not other types of doctors). I hope that makes sense. Let me know if you need more clarification.