How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask TherapistMarryAnn Your Own Question
TherapistMarryAnn, Therapist
Category: Mental Health
Satisfied Customers: 5810
Experience:  Over 20 years experience specializing in anxiety, depression, drug and alcohol, and relationship issues.
Type Your Mental Health Question Here...
TherapistMarryAnn is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am a daycare provider and i have a mom that drops of her

Resolved Question:

i am a daycare provider and i have a mom that drops of her child and says her husband has physically abused her and mentally she said last night he threatened to shoot her i went to a party at their house a few weeks ago and he threatened me and another girl that he was going to shoot us bitches i didn't take him seriously but knowing his vilocense towards his wife i am worried...what are my boundries and responsibilities
Submitted: 6 years ago.
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  TherapistMarryAnn replied 6 years ago.

Hi, I'd like to help you with your question.

It is obvious that the situation you described could be potentially dangerous. As a provider, I would also be concerned with the safety of the child in the situation. Please continue to encourage the mother to get help. Maybe provide her with a list of shelters and contacts so she has an immediate place to go to if the situation at home gets worse. She needs to understand that she is putting her child's life in danger as well, and sometimes that may motivate a parent to seek help.

I believe you need to contact the police and ask what you can do to file a report and what the police feel are your options. You may also want to consider reporting the situation to the child protective authorities. The child may not be directly threatened, but the situation could become out of control and the child harmed. The local child protective services should be able to give you some guidance on how to handle this.

Also, document any contact you have with either parent and anything that you see with the child. This will not only serve to help you document a history of incidences, but also protect you in case the situation becomes more involved. You do not want to be trying to recall conversations and details if the police become involved.

I hope for the best in this situation, for everyone.


TherapistMarryAnn and other Mental Health Specialists are ready to help you

Related Mental Health Questions