How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. Olsen Your Own Question
Dr. Olsen
Dr. Olsen, Psychologist
Category: Mental Health
Satisfied Customers: 2336
Experience:  PsyD Psychologist
Type Your Mental Health Question Here...
Dr. Olsen is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

How does is take to recover from PTSD

This answer was rated:

How long does is take to recover from PTSD
Hello. Welcome to JustAnswer. I am sorry to hear about your situation. You may recover from PTSD with treatment. Without treatment, it can last several months to many years, depending on what happened to you and how you feel about it.
Symptoms of PTSD are similar to Anxiety and Depression. In order to treat PTSD, you may need individual therapy, a support group for adults with PTSD and/or Pharmacotherapy like antidepressants (if depression or anxiety is severe). Do you feel anxious and/or depressed sometimes? If so, you might need to see a psychiatrist (M.D.) for medication evaluation and prescription. In my opinion, I would like you to try psychological counseling first.
You may need to see a licensed psychotherapist who specializes in PTSD. Cognitive-behavior therapy (CBT) and EMDR ((Eye Movement desensitization and reprocessing) will work for both PTSD. EMDR and CBT (including RELAXATION TECHNIQUES, IMAGINAL FLOODING, GRADUATED & PROLONGED EXPOSURE, IMPLOSIVE THERAPY, STRESS INOCULATION TRAINING) are most effective for PTSD. You may find a licensed psychologist or psychotherapist who SPECIALIZES IN EMDR and/or CBT and PTSD & Depression in a community clinic, a local hospital or a private office setting.
You can search a licensed psychologist/psychotherapist on internet- such as the PSYCHOLOGY TODAY website. Go to ( and enter your zip code and optional category of specialty such as PTSD. Read psychotherapists’ profile to see if he or she specializes in Cognitive-behavior therapy and PTSD. You may also want to create your mental image of psychotherapist that you want to work with – Male or female? Old or young? To note, many therapists offer initial consultation for free. So you can see it as an informational meeting. You can ask any question and negotiate psychotherapy fee.
Another way to find a psychotherapist, you may call your insurance company and can ask for a list of providers who you may work with. If you have no health insurance, you can also call The United Way toll free # 211 to find the community mental health centers in your area where you can get treatment described above even without health insurance. You can get counseling for free or low fee. To find a specialist/therapist for PTSD, contact ANXIETY DISORDERS ASSOCIATION OF AMERICA( and go to the link - ( To find a therapist who specialize in EMDR, please go to the website ( and go to the section FIND AN EMDR CLINICIAN (
Please let me know if you have more questions or I have overlooked any. I hope you get well with treatment soon.
Warm regards,
Dr. Olsen and other Mental Health Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I was in an abusive relationship. My ex made me feel horrible about myself and it was my first boyfriend. I have flashbacks. I feel gross. And angry. I feel disgusted by myself and my sexuality. He was only interested in "breaking me in" and after about two months he dumped me. before he did that he repeatedly told me that I was ugly, supid, and he would torture me by ignoring me. Then he said "Things Change" and "Now you know who I really am." What do I do about these feelings.
Hi, Let me say I can imagine how sad, angry, anxious, worried and scared you must have been about your past relationship. It sounds like you have been emotionally, sexually, and verbally abused by your ex boyfriend. I suspect that he may have Antisocial personality disorder as people with the illness (APD) lacks empathy towards the other, abusive, manipulative, and have no remorse for their wrong or hurtful action. You do not deserve what happened to you by this man. He may have had mood disorder like anger and rage and/or personality disorder like APD. You should not believe anything he has said to you as he has serious psychological and personality problems. You may need lots of support and help from your family, friends, Doctors, and a Counselor to recover from all the pain that this man caused in you. With treatment described on the previous answer, you will feel better. Please feel free to ask me a question if you have. Warm regards,
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
okay, I'll try out your suggestions. I just wish could feel better faster. Thanks for your help.