How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. Olsen Your Own Question
Dr. Olsen
Dr. Olsen, Psychologist
Category: Mental Health
Satisfied Customers: 2336
Experience:  PsyD Psychologist
Type Your Mental Health Question Here...
Dr. Olsen is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Okay, give you a shot...New in Metairie La, air force

Resolved Question:

Okay, give you a shot...New in Metairie La, air force retired, Tricare. Need help with major depressive di., panic dis., due to onset and stressors. Urgent Care not sympathetic last time I tried when I had no meds. Fear of drug seeking I suspect. How to get prompt help???
Submitted: 6 years ago.
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Dr. Olsen replied 6 years ago.
Hello. Welcome to JustAnswer. I am sorry to hear your situation. Let me ask you a question before I offer an answer. Did you see your primary care physician for a physical check-up lately?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Doc..but really wasn't having the stressors full blown at the time. And with the VA, it's takes time to get into PCM, be referred, then wait for Psych Doc. My results are excellent...I work out a lot to keep my steroids or anything. Would hate to go to emergency room and take up a bed where someone may have been shot and need it. Ya know? But I haven't discounted it either...any other suggestions?
Expert:  Dr. Olsen replied 6 years ago.
Hi, Let me say I can imagine how sad, worried and anxious you must have been about your condition. It sounds like you suffer from major depression and panic attacks. A combination of psychotherapy and pharmacotherapy may be effective for depression and panic attacks. You may get help from a psychotherapist one-on-one and/or in a group setting. Also, various relaxation and stress reduction techniques may be helpful. I understand that you may need immediate help since it may take some time for you to see a psychotherapist/psychologist and a psychiatrist.
You may try some or all of the following to reduce the intensity and frequency of depression and panic attacks - 1. Exercise moderately, but regularly, 2. Eat healthy but delicious meals, 3. Regularize your sleep cycle, 4. Don't drink to excess or abuse drugs, 5. Spend some time every day in play, 6. Develop recreational outlets that encourage creativity, 7. Distance yourself from destructive situations or people, 8. Practice mindfulness meditation, or walk, or an intimate talk, every day, 9. Allow yourself to feel pride in your accomplishments, 10, Listen to compliments and expression of affection, 11. Build and use a support system, 12. Pay more attention to small pleasures and sensations, 13. Challenge yourself, 14. Avoid unstructured time, 15. Practice good personal hygiene, 16. Avoid depressed self-absorption, 17. Cultivate your sense of humor. Also, yoga, meditation, Acupuncture, Guided imagery, and massage therapy may help. Cognitive-Behavior therapy (CBT) is a most effective therapy for depression and panic attacks. CBT consists of Self-Monitoring, Relaxation strategies, Exposure treatments, Cognitive therapy. If your panic attacks persist, you may try Panic Control Treatment (PCT)and Cognitive-behavior therapy (CBT) for your condition. Behavior interventions are In vivo exposure with response prevention (flooding). Cognitive interventions are Cognitive therapy, relaxation, breathing retraining. In Panic Control Treatment (PCT), you may be exposed to the interoceptive (bodily) sensations associated with panic attacks (e.g., the client exercises in a therapy session to increase his/her heart rate). PCT is effective 80%-100% of cases and associated with low relapse rate. I recommend PCT. Medications such as SSRIs, TCAs, and benzodiazepines may be used to reduce the symptoms. So you may benefit from seeing a psychotherapist who specializes in PCT, CBT and Anxiety/Panic attacks. The book Worry Trap by Dr. Lejune may be helpful to manage your anxiety. You may also check the link from ANXIETY DISORDERS ASSOCIATION OF AMERICA( for resources. You may also find a specialist in your area from the link - ( Additionally, Biofeedback may help you. It can be classified as a self-control technique since it involves having a client to learn to modify his or her own behaviors and is based, like many other self-control procedures, on the principle of operant conditioning. The biofeedback may work for physical pain. Please contact - The association for Psychophysiology and Biofeedback ( for resources and to find a provider in your area. Please let me know if you have more questions or I have overlooked any. Warm regards,
Dr. Olsen and other Mental Health Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
You absolutely seemed to cover it all...and I've been through just about all of it over 25 years. I need constant reminders of things to do to maintain good "vibes". You covered some things that I promptly blown off or forgot to do for my own good. I am afraid I'll have to check out some local docs via however, make some phone calls, because my anxiety is bordering on paralysis right now. Writing this is like thinking or swimming through oatmeal. Nice to speak with someone with a nice face that looks like they care. I hope youre like that in person for your patients sake Dr Olsen. Thanks so much, Roger
Expert:  Dr. Olsen replied 6 years ago.
My pleasure, Roger. I hope you get help and support as soon as possible. Please let me know if you have more questions. I am happy to assist you. (I will do my best). Dr. Olsen