Dr. Bonnie
Dr. Bonnie, Psychologist and RN
Experience:  35 years experience counseling children and families
37122071

If someone who is a bit on the moody side premenstrually is

Customer Question

If someone who is a bit on the moody side premenstrually is put onto an antidepressive such as fluoxetine hcl can it cause them to become a rapid cycling bipolar disorder. Can it cause a maniac phase in someone who has never before shown any signs of mania.
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Dr. Bonnie replied 6 years ago.
Hello, Welcome to Just Answer,

The answer is YES. An SSRI (like fluoxetine) can trigger (not cause) a hypomanic or manic episode characteristic of Bipolar Disorder. It can be the first episode but often the diagnosis is made just this way.

It means she should not be put on any SSRI, of course and may need to be treated with a mood stabilizer if she has more of the symptoms.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I would like a scientific reference or as many as possible so that I can persuade the psychiatrist treating my daughter to take her off the fluoxetine hcl. He maintains it did not switch her into a mania state or trigger her bipolar status. she is in a terrible state and is now on a handful of drugs including the fluoxetine hcl that she started just before she became maniacal. She now has a "crazy" label she has to carry for the rest of her life. Also, I am informed, she will probably have many more episodes as she is a rapid cycling maniac/depressive and she will never be "cured". Many of these drugs will hasten or exacerbate retinal and renal failure which she already faces as an insulin dependant diabetic.
Oh my! How complicated. I will look for scientific references but may not be back with them tonight.

I hit pay dirt!!!

check out this site:

http://www.neurotransmitter.net/admania.html

I editted previous post to include this while you were looking at it.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
That is ok. Just email them when you have them. By the way I also am a professional nurse and have had exposure to bipolar patients during by career. My daughter never manifested the symptoms I say in them before she was put onto fluoxine hcl. Do you think puting her back onto this medication that she took previously was a contributing trigger factor?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

I dont think a websight is a scientific reference. You must have gotten your answer from somewhere.