How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Bill Your Own Question
Bill, LCSW, Consultant, Expert Witness
Category: Mental Health
Satisfied Customers: 3707
Experience:  35 years treating individuals, couples, families with mental health and substance abuse prob's
Type Your Mental Health Question Here...
Bill is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My son (40 years old) is 100% convinced that there are

Customer Question

My son (40 years old) is 100% convinced that there are people (a person) who are sending radio waves and causing high pitched sounds in his head. There are places where this does not happen. He is basically homeless and does not work. He got a part time job yesterday but walked off of it today because he says the noise kept on getting louder and louder. He is convinced that these people turn it on and off. He absolutely refuses to go for psychiatric help. He might be fine one day and we have a good day and then the next day he is just horrible--hurling accusations at me about "things I have done". How can I get help for him?
Submitted: 6 years ago.
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Bill replied 6 years ago.
Bill :

Hello Sir- I have read what you have written and sorry to hear about your son. From what your write, your son is acutely psychotic and most likely would meet the criteria for involuntary commitment so that he can be appropriately stabilized. In every county in the country there is a process where a family member can petition the court and a judge would order that your son be evaluated by a psychiatrist and appropriately treated. This is typically addressed via the mental health center (I note that you had a bad experience there) but if give me your Zip Code, I will find out what you need to do and who you need to talk to so that your son can get the care that he needs.

Bill :

Has he ever been formally diagnosed by a psychiatrist. If so, what was the diagnosis?:

Bill :

Thanks and I will await your reply.

Bill :

Best, Bill

Bill and other Mental Health Specialists are ready to help you
Expert:  Bill replied 6 years ago.
Please See above- I will await your reply.
Best, Bill
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
My zip code is 98273. He has never been formally diagnosed. The psychologist we did see told me that it was more than likely not schizophrenia as that usually comes on in the early 20s.
Expert:  Bill replied 6 years ago.
Hello- I have attached the following link for the agency responsible for insuring that your son gets proper mental health treatment. Scroll down the page and you will see the phone numbers for "Involuntary treatment Investigations"= This is what you want to seek process information about. Here is the link:
Call them today.
I wish you the best, Bill