Carol Kryder LMFT
Carol Kryder LMFT, Mental Health Professional
Experience:  APA Board Certified, Diplomate,Substance Abuse Professional, 20 years family therapy experience
13965555

I'm planning on getting pregnant but I was on 200mg of

I'm planning on getting pregnant but I was on 200mg of lamictal for bipolar up until 11/1/10 and have been using medical marijuana to control my anxiety since I have stopped both I feel like a completely different person. I'm getting upset over little things that normally I would brush off in the past and my husband and I are a little arguing and treating each other differently I think, he just thinks I have become more uptight. Which is accurate I guess what I'm asking is their a safe med to replace my lamictal and marijuana for my bipolar disorder and anxiety panic disorder. Also he is still smoking once in a while for pain twice a day because he has to work, he broke his back at 15 and would rather go organic than take oxy or pain meds. Will that effect the unborn baby? of course he will be doing it in the garage so I mean will it effect the baby before it's conceived? Thanks!
Carol Kryder LMFT :

Hello and Welcome to JustAnswer. Your question is not closed until you are satisfied. I am happy to assist you with your question.

Carol Kryder LMFT :

To my knowledge there is no replacement for Lamictal, and nothing for medical marijuana that has been approved for use in pregnancy. Marijuana has been proven to impact the reproductive system in both males and females, so neither of you should use it before or during pregnancy.

Carol Kryder LMFT :

The only drugs that have been approved for use during pregnancy are the SSRI class of drugs such as Prozac or Zoloft. Please see a doctor so that you can find a good replacement for the bipolar drug. The SSRI should take care of the anxiety for you. I wish you the very best with your planned pregnancy.