Dr. Olsen
Dr. Olsen, Psychologist
Experience:  PsyD Psychologist
46062601

MY GRANDSON IS A GREAT KID OF 12 YEARS OLD TODAY, HE IS GOOD

MY GRANDSON IS A GREAT KID OF 12 YEARS OLD TODAY, HE IS GOOD AT HOME BUT HAS VIOLENT OUTBURSTS AT SCHOOL, 10 DAYS AGO HE PUSHED A TEACHER DOWN AND SHE HAD TO GO TO THE HOSPITAL. HE LOVES THIS TEACHER BUT WHEN SHE TRIED TO TAKE UP HIS WORK THAT HE WANTED TO KEEP HE CHARGED AT HER. I AM CONCERNED ABOUT HIM BEING BI POLAR AS HE HAS SEVERE MOOD SWINGS, FROM LAUGHING TO CRYING WITHIN A FEW MINUTES. HE HAS ALWAYS HAD PROBLEMS AND HAS BEEN PUT ON ADHD MEDS THAT DID NOT DO ANYTHING TO HIM. CAN YOU HELP ME FIND OUT WHERE TO TURN, HE HAS NO INSURANCE. HE NEEDS HELP AS HE
HAS BEEN SENT TO AN ALTERNATIVE SCHOOL FOR THE NEXT 60 DAYS. HE IS VERY SMART AND SENSITIVE AND OVERREACTS TO ANY TRAUMA, HIS MOTHER AND STEP-FATHER DIVORCED WHO WAS IN HIS LIFE SINCE BIRTH AND HE HAS DISOWNED HIM AS WELL AS HIS STEPFATHERS MOTHER. HE HAS A SISTER THAT IS
ADORED BY BOTH OF THEM AND HE IS NOT ALLOWED TO GO
SEE THEM ONLY HER.
DEBBIE
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Dr. Olsen replied 6 years ago.
Hi, Let me say I can imagine how worried and sad you must have been about your grandson. It sounds like he may have Bipolar disorder and ADHD based on the information. It is common for children with Bipolar disorder to have ADHD, depression and anxiety as well. Your grandson also may have gone through stress from his parents.
Your grandson may need support, help and treatment from his pediatrician or a psychiatrist (M.D.) and a psychological counselor for individual and/or group therapy. Bipolar disorder is a brain disorder characterized by dysregulation of mood, attention, energy, sleep, appetite and libido. Bipolar disorder is characterized by elevated mood, grandiosity, hypersexuality, decreased need for sleep, and racing thoughts. Treatment for bipolar disorder consists of pharmacotherapy (by psychiatrist), individual psychotherapy (Cognitive-behavior therapy - CBT) or Interpersonal therapy (ITP) by a licensed psychologist or psychotherapist), and group therapy or support group by a psychotherapist. Pharmacotherapy is a critical aspect of treatment. Individual psychotherapy will help him for support, ventilation of feelings, coping skills training, and direct advice. Support groups are available in a local community clinic or a local hospital. Friends and family should join a support group to better understand the illness so that they can continue to offer encouragement and support to him. Your grandson may need treatment in an inpatient or outpatient setting.
In order to find an outpatient treatment center for him, you may call The United Way toll free # 211 to find the community mental health centers in your area in which he can get treatment described above even without health insurance. To find a group therapy or a support group for him, contact a local hospital or a clinic by asking if they offer a group for people with Bipolar disorder. If you like to find a support group online, check Mental Health America website section (http://www.mentalhealthamerica.net/go/find_support_group) - Find a group in your area. I wonder if your son has SSDI. He may need financial support. For any question on Bipolar disorder, mental illness issues, and Residential treatment center, contact National Institute of Mental Health/ Phone Number:(###) ###-#### Toll Free Number: 1-***-***-****/ Fax Number:(###) ###-#### Email Address:***@******.***/ Website URL: www.nimh.nih.gov/ AND National Foundation for Depressive Illness/ Phone:(###) ###-#### www.depression.org/ I hope your grandson gets all help and support from his pediatrician, family, and counselors. Please let me know if I have overlooked any or you have more questions.