Dr. Kaushik
Dr. Kaushik, Psychiatrist
Experience:  MD Psychiatry
9385906

I am on 500mg of Stavzor for mood stabilization, but am

Customer Question

I am on 500mg of Stavzor for mood stabilization, but am finding that though in the summer the Depakote calmed me down, here it is, November and I have no energy and am no better than if I had taken nothing. I have trouble concentrating and my sleep patterns are terrible. I have a therapy light, but it gives me headaches and does not seem to help. I have recently read about combining Concerta with Depakote in the winter for SAD to offset the lack of concentration and energy. What are your thoughts on this?
I have taken several antidepressants during the winter/SAD months with no positive effects. HELP
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Dr. Kaushik replied 6 years ago.
Dr. Kaushik :

Hi there,

Dr. Kaushik :

Welcome to just answer !

Dr. Kaushik :

Well, i think adding a psychostimulant like concerta to depakote would be a good idea , as concerta would infuse increased concentration and energy into you , and depakote would act as a good mood stabilizer , but both of them do not really help in sleep disturbancesw , so along with these two , you shall ask your doctor to also add 1 sleep aiding drug like ambien cr , at night time , which will help you to sleep better .

Dr. Kaushik :

So, i would agree to your taking the combination of concerta and depakote for winter depression , but ask your doctor to add ambien cr for better sleep.

Dr. Kaushik :

i HOPE THIS HELPS..

Dr. Kaushik :

Wish you all the best.

Dr. Kaushik :

Please press the ACCEPT button if you are satisfied with the answer as only then will i be credited for my service.

Dr. Kaushik :

Regards..