How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. Olsen Your Own Question
Dr. Olsen
Dr. Olsen, Psychologist
Category: Mental Health
Satisfied Customers: 2336
Experience:  PsyD Psychologist
Type Your Mental Health Question Here...
Dr. Olsen is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My 32 year old son was diagnosed as bipolar in adolescence.

Resolved Question:

My 32 year old son was diagnosed as bipolar in adolescence. He has been medicated and involuntarly committed to mental health facilities through out his teen years. He now has major depression and alcohal issues. He has said to me tonight, while drunk, that he wanted me to know the truth....he wanted me to know he is a sexual sadist and sociopath. He has had these feelings as long has he can remember but has hidden them behind other behaviors. He is married and has has a 6 year old son. He lives across the country from me. I am afraid. What should I do. Please help me, help him
Submitted: 6 years ago.
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Dr. Olsen replied 6 years ago.
Hello. I am sorry to hear about your son's situation. Let me ask you a few questions before I offer an answer. Is he getting treatment once he leaves a hospital? Does he have a support system? Is his wife helping him for his illness?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

He has been offered support by several mental health services but goes only a few times and quits. His wife is going to alanon but I don't think knows the extent of his mental illness. She has submitted to his sadism for a while and now refuses. She is loyal but is strong and will protect herself and child, but has little support from family.

My son, I don't know about friends or other support. I feel he was being honest with me tonight, but is dishonest with all of the other family that live in his town. He is very charming, hightly intelligent, and manipulative. He has tried many many medications and has had shock treatments for depression. He cannot stick with any meds.

Expert:  Dr. Olsen replied 6 years ago.
Hi, Let me say I can imagine how worried and sad you must have been about your son. It sounds like he has Bipolar disorder based on the information. Your son may need support, help and treatment from his physician, a psychiatrist (M.D.) and a psychological counselor for individual and/or group therapy. Please note: many adults with Bi-polar disorder can have a normal life with family and work if they stick to treatment (medication, individual counseling, support group etc.).

Bipolar disorder is a brain disorder characterized by dysregulation of mood, attention, energy, sleep, appetite and libido. Bipolar disorder is characterized by elevated mood, grandiosity, hypersexuality, decreased need for sleep, and racing thoughts.

Treatment for bipolar disorder consists of pharmacotherapy (by psychiatrist), individual psychotherapy (Cognitive-behavior therapy - CBT) or Interpersonal therapy (ITP) by a licensed psychologist or psychotherapist), and group therapy or support group by a psychotherapist. Pharmacotherapy is a critical aspect of treatment. Medication for Bipolar disorder includes a mood stabilizer such as Lithium. For people who do not respond to Lithium or who have rapid cycling or dysphoric mania, (prominent anxiety and depressed mood), an anti-seizure drug such as carbamazepine or divalproex sodium may be effective. Individual psychotherapy will help him for support, ventilation of feelings, coping skills training, and direct advice. Group therapy is useful for her to address the issues – adherence to medication and therapy, regulation of self-esteem, and management of other psychosocial issues. Support groups are available in a local community clinic or a local hospital. Friends and family should join a support group to better understand the illness so that they can continue to offer encouragement and support to him.

Your son may need treatment in an inpatient or outpatient setting. In order to find an inpatient or outpatient treatment center for him,

you may call The United Way toll free # XXXXX to find the community mental health centers in your area in which he can get treatment described above even without health insurance.

To find a group therapy or a support group for him, contact a local hospital or a clinic by asking if they offer a group for people with Bipolar disorder. If you like to find a support group online, check Mental Health America website section ( - Find a group in your area.

I wonder if your son has SSDI. He may need financial support for living.
For any question on Bipolar disorder, mental illness issues, and Residential treatment center, contact National Institute of Mental Health/ Phone Number:(NNN) NNN-NNNN Toll Free Number: 1-866-615-6464/ Fax Number:(NNN) NNN-NNNN Email Address:[email protected]/ Website URL: AND National Foundation for Depressive Illness/ Phone:(NNN) NNN-NNNN

If he is dangerous to himself or the other OR is unable to take care of self due to mental disorder, ask him to go to an emergency room of a local hospital. If he does not,
call A LOCAL MOBILE CRISIS TEAM or PSYCHIATRIC EMERGENCY RESPONSE TEAM designated by her city and county for psychiatric evaluation and involuntary hospitalization.

If he is in crisis now, seek help immediately. Call 1-800-273-TALK (8255) to reach a 24 hour crisis center or dial 911 for immediate assistance. I hope your son gets treatment. Please let me know if I have overlooked any or you have more questions.
Dr. Olsen and 2 other Mental Health Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
What is SSDI
Expert:  Dr. Olsen replied 6 years ago.
Social Security Disability Insurance (SSDI) . Let me know if you have a question.

Edited by Dr. Olsen on 12/1/2010 at 3:37 AM EST
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Do I belive him when he says he is a sociopath. He tells me, he cannot be helped with drugs or support groups. He told me tonight that his condition is not curable, and uncontrollable. He has spent years in thearpy and taking drugs and is tired of doing so. How dangerous is he! Should I inform his wife of the phone call tonight. When I said I was afraid....I mean really afraid that he will hurt himself or someone else. Do I just go to sleep tonight and start making phone calls tomorrow....which he will ignore. What will happen if he hurts himself or someone else TONIGHT.
Expert:  Dr. Olsen replied 6 years ago.
Hi, Thanks for your response. It sounds like he called you when he was drunk. Excess use of alcohol may cause psychosis. He may need treatment for both alcohol abuse and Bipolar disorder. Did he elaborate on his words ("I am a sociopath")? Does he mean that he wants to hurt others? Has he ever tried to hurt self or others including his wife? If so, you may tell his wife about his condition. There is a possibility that he may be dangerous to himself since he was drunk. Let me know if you have more questions. With prayer.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

Yes, he did elaborate about being a sociopath. He said he wanted to hurt others and that it would give him pleasure, that the only thing he was afraid of were the consequences of being put in jail. I know of two incidences where he hurt others and was not remorseful. When a teenager he shot a friend with a BB gun and he shot at a girl he did not know with the same gun. He also stabbed a boy in the foot for taking food from his tray while in a mental health facilitiy. He was under lock down in that facility after that......but he managed to escape and elude police.

Since he is an adult now, I know nothing that he has not told me himself, but I would not be suprised to find that he had hurt someone.

His wife is very loyal and will not say a bad word about him, but I am afraid for her. I want to call and tell her what he told me last night but am somewhat concerned that she would feel I am interferring or would not belive me.


I remember now that he also admitted killing a squirrl by chopping of his head when he was very young 10 or 12. I thought he would be horrified but he was not.

As I write this I am seeing a picture emerge that I had not, or preferred not to see.


I hope this is all confidential information I am giving you, it makes me afraid just to write this letter and admit to myself that something is very very wrong


Thank you for your kind words

Expert:  Dr. Olsen replied 6 years ago.
Hi, I am sorry to hear about your worry and suffering. Yes, your son may be dangerous to self and others. You may call his wife about his dangerous condition. If you find his location, you may call A LOCAL MOBILE CRISIS TEAM or PSYCHIATRIC EMERGENCY RESPONSE TEAM designated by his city and county for involuntary hospitalization. If you can reach him on the phone, tell him to go to an emergency room of a local hospital now. I hope he gets help.

Related Mental Health Questions