Mental Health

Have Mental Health Questions? Ask a Psychiatrist Online

Mental Health

I have had anxiety problems for over 30 years now. I have

Customer Question
I have had anxiety problems...
I have had anxiety problems for over 30 years now. I have been on about every anti anxiety medication made. None seem to work. Freinds who have taken anti anxiety meds feel happy and the stress seems to be gone. That is not the case with me, however. Could there be some brain disorder that the psychiatrists could be missing that could cause anxiety type symtoms?
Thanks
Larry
Submitted: 7 years ago.Category: Mental Health
12/1/2010
Mental Health Professional: mindhealer, Therapist replied 7 years ago
mindhealer
mindhealer, Therapist
mindhealer :

Good evening sir. I would be happy to try and help. Im online and available. Let me know when you are back online and we can meet in teh chatroom

Customer:

I'm here now

mindhealer :

Good evening sir

Customer:

hi

mindhealer :

It sounds like you've been through a number of different doctors and likely therapists for your anxiety...is that correct?

Customer:

yes and I just had an EEG and they said it came back normal

mindhealer :

you mentioned that you've had the anxiety for 30+ years.....can you recall when you first noticed it?

Customer:

probably about 1970

mindhealer :

did anything significant happen around the time that it began? any life event that you remember?

Customer:

no..I did have a panic attack and that is what sent me to a shrink

mindhealer :

can you tell me a little more about the panic attack....as much as you can remember

mindhealer :

Please

Customer:

it was really bad. had the fulllown one. lasted over 5 hours with the heart rate and sweating and thought I was going to die.

mindhealer :

do you remember anything triggering it?

Customer:

no

mindhealer :

I imagine these are questions you've been asked over the years?

Customer:

many..my family doc started me out on a full dose of paxil and hr shouldn't have the shrink said I need to start out with a low dose and work up

mindhealer :

thats correct...but that wouldnt have sustained the anxiety for this long

mindhealer :

what types of therapy have you been through? if I may ask

Customer:

well i also have tinnitus. the shrink said that woud keep me at a high anxiety level.

mindhealer :

it could...but I actually have patients with tinnitus as well and their anxiety level is usually normal....which is why Im thinking its something else

mindhealer :

is there a family history of anxiety? parents, grandparents?

Customer:

well im seeing a shrink and neurolgist right now. all they do is pump me full of pills with bad side effects and a constant headache.

mindhealer :

I would imagine so....their solution to everything unfortunately

mindhealer :

may I ask a few more questions sir?

Customer:

so, as to my original question, is there other brain disorders that can cause anxiety type problems. i'm trying to look at all possiilities

Customer:

go ahead

mindhealer :

Not typically

mindhealer :

is the anxiety more chronic or do you get panic attacks?

Customer:

ask

Customer:

after 30+ years i have learned to keep the panic attacks to a minimum. however, they do try and build up

mindhealer :

ok. Sounds like you maintain them fairly well...

Customer:

thats true, but i am lookinf for any solution to get rid of the problem

mindhealer :

I understand completely...which is why Im asking the questions...to see if there is a root cause

Customer:

i do fairly well on Cymbalta but at 60mg i start to get tremors which isn't good for my golf game

mindhealer :

Anxiety often comes as a result of one of two things...most often anyway....either a genetic condition in which a family member is prone to anxiety and actually passes it down or an event that has taken place that has not been resolved

mindhealer :

its not uncommon to have experienced a form of trauma and not recall the event which is what brings on the anxiety

Customer:

well, i can't come up with anyother stress factors except the tinnitus. i have been married for 45 years and both parents are deceased and i have minimal money issues

mindhealer :

ok.during your course of therapists...has anyone ever suggested hypnosis?

Customer:

i have been thinking about that and was planning on asking the shrink ( i keep saying shrink cuz i don't know how to spell pysch?????

mindhealer :

thats quite alright

mindhealer :

its actually been known to be effective in two different manners

Customer:

i know there are no miricle drugs but something ought to work halfway well without all the side effects

mindhealer :

in one form while under a hypnotic state they therapist would be able to give you a "suggestion" which would help alleviate if not even ameliorate the anxiety

mindhealer :

the other way that hypnosis works is that if in fact there is a root cause they would be able to identify it while you are under...then you could work through it once identified

Customer:

well, i think i will try that.. are there different class of hyponists? you know licensed or md

mindhealer :

yes actually....and I wanted to make sure I inform you of that

Customer:

ok

mindhealer :

DO NOT...DO NOT go to someone who calls themselves a hypnotist

Customer:

ok

mindhealer :

thats first and foremost important

mindhealer :

My suggestion would be that you look for a clinical psychologist who is specially trained in hypnotherapy.....if You Google hypnotherapists you will find a link to the hypnotherapy society which will help you to find a provider who specializes in this

Customer:

i will try that..thanks

Customer:

bye

mindhealer :

I think you could really benefit from this approach

Customer:

ok

mindhealer
mindhealer, Therapist
mindhealer
mindhealer
mindhealer, Therapist